Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extruding Custom Profile

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
thegodplato
3615 Views, 15 Replies

Extruding Custom Profile

I'm really struggling getting to grips with Revit, sorry!  I thought I had created a profile and would be able to use that to extrude/sweep around a curved shape ( file called Family7 ) to create what I want but either I am using the wrong families or doing something else wrong - the latter no doubt!!

I've attached the files in case someone can see what I have done wrong!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
thegodplato
in reply to: thegodplato

Oh, I forgot to mention that after I have the extruded shape along the curved profile I will need to make an array of 110 of the finished shapes all joining together ( so 110 x the 150mm wide profile to give me a roof that is about 16m long ).  Will I be able to cut a hole for a window in these joined together profiles/extrusions?

Message 3 of 16
Sahay_R

Yes, your sweep should go along the curved wall and your windows will cut through them.

OK - Family7 is a generic model. You need a profile for a sweep, that's all. 

Remember the New Templates that you used to build a new family? Look for Profile.rft. Draw and save the profile you want.

Capture.PNG

Insert>>Load Family

Did you start in a 3d view?

Sweep>>Edit Type>>Duplicate and then load the profile

Capture.PNG

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 4 of 16
ToanDN
in reply to: Sahay_R

I don't think he wants to create wall sweeps, but model in-place sweeps
like curved beams.
Message 5 of 16
ToanDN

I don't think he wants to create wall sweeps, but model in-place sweeps
like curved beams.
Message 6 of 16
Sahay_R
in reply to: ToanDN

....but he also wants his windows to cut through them ........ that made me think wall sweeps.....

The same process would work for roof too!

But for the windows - possibly model wall on top of the roof with wall sweep.....

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 7 of 16
thegodplato

@ToanDN what I'm doing is changing the original curved frame you helped me out with ( but I can't find the post relating to it, sure it was you... ).  Don't know if you recall this -

Micro Brewery Design Steel Frame 3D.jpgRoof.jpg

The above profile is what I am wanting to change to this new extrusion.  Originally the timber shingle roof was extruded over the profile of the curved steel structure.  Now I need the Aluminium Roof Profile to follow the C shape ( Family7 ) so that I can then cover the structural steel frame shown.  Not sure if that is clear!

So, Family7 should be a profile family as well as the other file ( Aluminium Roof Profile ).  Getting confused!!

But when I open a Profile family (and copied the AutoCAD shape I need to follow to ensure I get the right dimensions) there is no extrusion/sweep tabs appearing?

Message 8 of 16
Sahay_R

Create>>Component>>Model In Place>>Sweep

Pick Path (the edge you want the Sweep to follow)

Load the Profile

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 9 of 16
thegodplato

I'm in my file Family7 but cannot follow Create>Component>Model In Place, etc.  When I select the curved lines that I want to follow Revit brings up an error message saying `no component family is loaded`.  When I try to load the aluminium Roof Extrusion as a family it won't let me.  Getting frustrated with myself as I just don't get it.

I really need to get this sorted along with my post about the beams/blocks from yesterday as the 2 go hand in hand - this is the roof that goes over the beam/block idea.  I'm supposed to be presenting it tomorrow to my lecturer....oh dear!

Message 10 of 16
Sahay_R

When I tried to load the Aluminum profile, Revit told me that it didn't have any loops. I would try to re-create it.

I created a new Profile family and loaded it into my Project

For the component - what I did was I started with a Mass family just as @ToanDN showed you yesterday. Inserted it into my project. When I went into Architecture>>Component>>Model In Place>>Generic Models,

Select Path - I clicked on an edge of the mass

Select Profile - I clicked on the drop down and selected the profile that I had loaded.

The geometry appears. I was also able to erase the Mass since the Sweep was done.

Capture.PNG

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 11 of 16
ToanDN

This is the exact workflow I have give you via screen cast in one of your other thread:

- Open you project, create an in-place mass, leep in in the mass editing environment

- Create two vertical reference planes, one at the front of your vaulted roof, one at the end

- Draw the curved profile on the front reference plane, this is the same profile as you have in Family7.rfa

- Select the curve and copy it to the end reference plane

- Select both curves and Divide Path from the Ribbon, enter the distance between each segment, or the number of divisions from the properties

- Create a new family (1) using Generic Model Adaptive

- Place two points and make them adaptive

- Select the two points and create a line from points

- Add another point to the middle of the line, turn its reference plane ON

- Copy the profile of the aluminum plank and paste to a Generic Model family (2), turn on Workplane base, and turn off always vertical

- Load (2) into (1) and host it on the across reference plane of the midpoint, align the with the horizontal

- Select (2) and the path, choose create form, solid

- Load (1) in project, pick two points along the same longitudinal direction of the roof (start and end of a plank)

- Select the plank and click on Repeat tool on the ribbon

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Message 12 of 16
thegodplato

22-03-2017 16-40-26.jpgDid the aluminium profile not look like this when you opened it?

Message 13 of 16
thegodplato

@Sahay_R I don't seem to be able to `select path`.  Its greyed out - well everything on the screen.  My curved Mass profile is on the right - just about visible. I was hoping to select this, add the family7 shape to it, and then rotate and place in position over the structural frame.  Then produce an array of it to the desired length.  Thanks for your help so far.

22-03-2017 17-00-20.jpg

@ToanDN - thanks for your help, the screencasts help immensely, once I know what I'm sort of doing!!. 

Yes I was able to follow your earlier screencast for the inner portion of my roof except for the issues I mentioned in that post earlier today.  Thanks for recreating it using my odd profile, however, for my roof, the family7 file doesn't follow the length of the roof, it follows the curve vertically - meaning there is just one T shape profile wrapping around the curved shape, but many along the length of the roof - something like 110 of them I think it will end up being.

Message 14 of 16
ToanDN

@thegodplato

I know the Family 7 curve is for the cross section of the roof.  Let's forget about your Family 7 file, it has no uses for you now.  You need to re-create the same curve in your project, like I did with the file I posted earlier.  Use the curve as a path to create a sweep long it, with a profile of your T shaped member.  Then copy it along your roof.

Message 15 of 16
thegodplato

Do you mean create the curve as a mass family?  I've got it in place as that in my main project ( the building ) but don't have the sweep function unless its a wall sweep which I don't think is right. Sorry, being a right pain here I know.

Message 16 of 16
ToanDN

See Revit file.  Screencast will available in a few minutes.

Capture.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report