Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extract Curtain Wall Wireframe for Use in Other Software?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
clara_csdrafting
737 Views, 6 Replies

Extract Curtain Wall Wireframe for Use in Other Software?

In 2017, is it still not possible to extract curtain wall grids for use in other software?  Specifically, I'd like to be able to export curtain wall wireframes from Revit for use in Inventor for placing fab modeling in correct 3D placement relative to the project base point.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/curtain-wall-export-to-autocad/td-p/2556316

Cordially,

-- Clara

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: clara_csdrafting

Would changing the curtain wall to butt join panels help?
Message 3 of 7
RDAOU

hello @clara_csdrafting

I have never tried to export a curtain wall grid of a curtain wall modeled using the default wall tool but I have done that using divided surface considering that 90% of the time we model curtain system from masses and divided surfaces rather than the system wall tool.

So I would say it should be possible depending on how the curtain wall is modeled

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 4 of 7

Thank you both for your replies.  I suspected having modeled geometry on the curtain grids might possibly be the only way to get this wireframe information exported in 3D space in correct relation to the rest of the building model.  My objective is to utilize curtain wall wireframes from the Revit environment as reference for placing fabrication modeling assemblies done in other software (specifically Inventor).  I technically do not need Revit's profiles or panels, just the wireframe element. 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Message 5 of 7
RDAOU

@clara_csdrafting

It's not modeling a geometry on top of the curtain wall but more like modeling the geometry based on which the curtain wall is modeled.

Some use the default system family Wall: Curtain Wall and other build up a mass/surface divided, with or without a pattern, ...etc and then build a curtain system using that template if one may call it so. The latter method offers more flexibility. Some delete this mass later and some preserve it for further use. On this mass you can host other elements as well, such as model lines which can be easily exported to more or less any other platform.

Anyhow; if there is anything else I may help you with please do not hesitate to ask...it's my pleasure to share 🙂 (only Revit experience)

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 6 of 7
Joris.vd.Meulen
in reply to: RDAOU

I think dynamo can help you with this matter.

http://dynamobim.org/forums/topic/manipulating-curtain-gridlines/#post-30856

love python coding
Message 7 of 7
RDAOU
in reply to: Joris.vd.Meulen

Hi @Joris.vd.Meulen

Although me and Dynamo are friends but I personally do not believe that Dynamo is the solution for everything. Specially for small operations which one can carry out with a couple of clicks

But again you have to ask @clara_csdrafting 🙂 not me

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report