Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extendible circular table family

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
BBV90
350 Views, 11 Replies

extendible circular table family

Hello, 

I have made this family attached, which is circular table with parameters. I have the arrows in the Revit model space but it wont let me extend. It disappears once you pull the arrows. What part of the formulas or parameters Ill have to correct to have the size of the table adjustable and have more chairs around? 

family.PNG

formula.PNG

  

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
barthbradley
in reply to: BBV90

Depends on how it is built.  Post the Family here and let us examine it.  

...Ah! You did post the Family! I just opened it. Needs some work to make it parametric the way you want.  Might be easier to learn if you examine one of the OOTB families that do this.   

Check out the Table-Dining Round w Chairs.rfa  in the Library.  

Message 3 of 12
capu57XX5R9

**Edit**  Opps did not mean to reply to Berrinvrl but to the original post. 

I can not be certain but it might work if you set the chairs to be an Radial Array.  Also might have to have the chairs be a nested component.  Then activate the dimension of your radial array, assign a label to it like Radial_Array_Radius name whatever you like but pick something easy to identify.  

Then active or add a radius dimension for your table as you make it.  In the Family Type property menu in the ribbon set up a formula that relates the array radius to the table radius.  That way as the table radius changes the chair radial array will do the same.  You can probably also set your Array Count to some how be related to the table radius so as the table shrinks the chair count drops and as it gets bigger it increases.  Be careful you might need to add a formula so your counter never drops below 2 as that will break the array. 

Sorry I can not help more with some formula examples as I am not very good at making them on the fly just yet.

Message 4 of 12
BBV90
in reply to: barthbradley

Hello, thank you for the response but this is a type family, I am able to do it in type family. I want it as instance so I will be able to extrude the table and the chairs will come accordingly.
Message 5 of 12
BBV90
in reply to: capu57XX5R9

Thank you for your response, I have tried the steps you have said but I believe I need help with the formula part to make the system active
Message 6 of 12
BBV90

@ToanDN hey, you think you can help me understand ? 

Message 7 of 12
barthbradley

@BBV90 wrote:
Hello, thank you for the response but this is a type family, I am able to do it in type family. I want it as instance so I will be able to extrude the table and the chairs will come accordingly.

I don't know what you mean. This screenshot is of the Table and Chairs Family I posted above.  It's fully parameter. Each Instance can be configured differently.  All you need to do is change the Parameters in the Family from Type kind to Instance kind. 

Parametric Table and Chairs.png 

Message 8 of 12
BBV90

thank you again, what I am trying to do the thing you showed by pulling the arrow I highlighted

1.PNG

Message 9 of 12
barthbradley

Make the Ref. Planes Strong Reference.  

Strong RPs.png

...and if you want the shape handles visible in 3D, then replace the Ref. Planes with Ref. Lines. 

Message 10 of 12
BBV90

new.PNG

neww.PNG

  Did exactly how you said and still not working, I even lost the arrows in 3D. Attaching family. 

Message 11 of 12
barthbradley

@BBV90 wrote:

  Did exactly how you said and still not working

Nope. You didn't. 

Don't use Reporting Parameters. They DO NOT drive anything. They only REPORT.  

ALSO, there is nothing is constrained to the Ref. Lines.  The idea is that when the Ref. Line - or Ref. Plane - is moved, it pulls whatever is constrained (Aligned and Locked) to it along for the ride.  

Message 12 of 12
mhiserZFHXS

@BBV90It seems like you really need to look into the basics of family creation rather than have every step explained here. There are plenty of resources for that on the internet, particularly on YouTube.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators