Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing Object demo'd and infill shows as existing

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2313 Views, 6 Replies

Existing Object demo'd and infill shows as existing

For some reason when we demo an existing object - in this case we are demolishing a door - the infill that shows up on the New Construction Plan shows up as Existing. We want it to show up as new construction.

Our door is set as follows:

Phase Created:           Existing

Phase Demolished:     Demolition

Demo Plan Phase Filter:     Show Existing + Demo

Demo Plan Phase:              Demolition

Floor Plan Phase Filter:       Show Existing + New

Floor Plan Phase:                New Construction

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

You shouldn't need a Demolition Phase.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

"you shouldn't need a demolition phase"

Can you elaborate? We use the demo phase for our demolition plans. We work with existing models when we do remodel or expansion projects.

Message 4 of 7
ToanDN

Workflow without Demolition phase (which Revit normally does):

Wall created in Existing phase.

Door created in Existing phase and demolished in New Construction phase.

Demolition plan: phase = New Construction, phase filter = Show Previous + Demo

New plan: phase = New Construction, phase filter = Show Previous + New

Infill is created under New Construction phase so it shows as New wall graphic.

Workflow with Demolition phase (which is what you have):

Wall created in Existing phase.

Door created in Existing phase and demolished in Demolition phase.

Demolition plan: phase = Demolition, phase filter = Show Previous + Demo

New plan: phase = New Construction, phase filter = Show Previous + New

The problem is the infill is created in a phase before the New Construction so that it shows with the existing graphic.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks for the help so far. I think this is on the right track, but I have a follow up question. How do you address rooms/room tags then. We create an existing room finish schedule when we do demo work. I think that is why we have a Demo phase. We create rooms in the demo phase for our demo plan and then we create rooms in the new construction phase on our new construction plans.

When I changed everything like you discussed for some reason the Demo Rooms don't show up anymore and the New Construction rooms do. This seems to go against the phase filter which is set to "existing + demo"

If I can't have the rooms on separate phases it will mean we will have to edit the way our schedules work and that seems like a mess. Do you have any suggestions?

Message 6 of 7
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help so far. I think this is on the right track, but I have a follow up question. How do you address rooms/room tags then. We create an existing room finish schedule when we do demo work. I think that is why we have a Demo phase. We create rooms in the demo phase for our demo plan and then we create rooms in the new construction phase on our new construction plans.

When I changed everything like you discussed for some reason the Demo Rooms don't show up anymore and the New Construction rooms do. This seems to go against the phase filter which is set to "existing + demo"

If I can't have the rooms on separate phases it will mean we will have to edit the way our schedules work and that seems like a mess. Do you have any suggestions?

Legitimate concern and it has been covered in countless threads.  Anyways, if you go with the Revit documented workflow (no Demolition phase), you can create a copy of the Existing plan, turn off everything except for Rooms and Room tags, and overlay it on the Demolition plan on Sheet.

Arguably, some folks do use a dedicated Demolition phase to overcome this very problem.  In which case, you have to override the visibility of items such as the wall infills you mentioned, in the New plan to have the correct New appearance.  This can be done either by element override or filter override.

If you want to know more, do a search for Existing Rooms in Demolition plan on this forum.

Message 7 of 7
ottoruano

This is for anyone who ends up here as I did. An additional opinion on this is to think of your "existing conditions" as a phase in time prior to any construction project, i.e. a "field survey". If you think of it in phases how you operate in a remodel project, you may have 3 phases;  phase 1 you get a field survey, then you choose which items will stay and which will go (this is phase 2) during the construction phase (phase 3), then you choose what new things you want for the construction phase (also phase 3). 

phase 1 - existing survey - this phase surveys all the existing conditions for record keeping and scheduling of existing conditions, room names, etc. - you can make a phase filter that only shows "current" and nothing in the future, and since that is the first phase, nothing in the past

phase 2 - "revit default existing" - this phase I rename to be "demolition + existing" - certain existing things from phase 1 that get demolished during the construction of a project (phase 3) go here. 

phase 3 - "revit default new construction"  - this phase I rename as "construction".  Things that happen during the construction phase of a project happen in this phase, such as building new walls, or, putting in new windows in phase 1 walls. If you put in a new window in this phase where there wasn't one on a phase 1 wall, it will show up as "infill" wall in phase 2. 

So to summarize with an example.

• I make a 3 floor plans of the same level, (1) shows the existing field survey, (2) shows the items to demo + exg to remain, (3) shows new items and exg. to remain
  • floor plan 1 is titled "Level 1 - Existing Floor Plan" field survey and only shows phase 1 - field survey. On this floor plan, only the existing field survey shows up now. 
  • floor plan 2 is titled "Level 1 - Demolition Floor Plan" and is set with phase filter: "demolition + existing" and the phase is set to "construction". On this floor plan, all of my phase 1 items show up, and any wall that I want to demo as part of phase 3 "construction" show up as dashed demolition lines. Any new openings that I make in floorplan 3 show up as "infill" and will also show up dashed demolition lines.
  • floorplan 3 is titled "Level 1 - Construction Floor Plan" and is set with phase filter: "construction" and phase is "show new  + existing". As the phase indicates, only existing items show up that are left over from phase 2, and new items that you put in will show up. 

This took a bit of time to wrap my head around, but ultimately, it ended up being really logical and instead of trying to fight revit logic, and infilling elements, which can lead to missed elements and errors in drawings, i chose to work within the revit workflow and renamed the phases to something that would help the team understand what is happening with descriptive naming. 

I hope that all makes sense. . .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report