Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR.. cannot open file because it was previously saved in a version of Revit prior to 8.1

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
georgehobel
545 Views, 12 Replies

ERROR.. cannot open file because it was previously saved in a version of Revit prior to 8.1

any solutions out there that work?  I have never had a revit version 8.1 or earlier... i dont think im that old.

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Residential Building and Design
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
RDAOU
in reply to: georgehobel

@georgehobel 

It could be a version mismatch but did you try these solutions

"(File name).rvt cannot be opened in Revit because it was last saved in a version of Revit prior to ...

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 13
ToanDN

Install the latest update for your Revit version 

Message 4 of 13
georgehobel
in reply to: ToanDN

sometimes its the simple things...that hide in plain sight... i will try that.

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Message 5 of 13
georgehobel
in reply to: RDAOU

those arent solutions, just confirmations that there is a problem

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Message 6 of 13
RDAOU

@georgehobel wrote:

those arent solutions, just confirmations that there is a problem

@georgehobel 

I am not sure you are on the right page then or you did not scroll down to read the solutions...The link lists different cases and the instructions on how to resolve each (ie: Solutions)...your case might or might not be one of them. 

RDAOU_0-1644693479250.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 7 of 13
georgehobel
in reply to: RDAOU

the available solutions are:  related to BIM 360, version mismatch, remote or network files... none of these fit what im dealing with. I will try to update any latest revisions to Revit and see if that works.  

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Message 8 of 13

I remember this exact situation happening at the office back in 2017 where when we tried to open any of the  Revit files, we would be getting this error. We had to get in touch with an actual Autodesk person and they couldn't provide any help at all and advised us not link any cad files and just import and a few more suggestions I can't recall.

The only way we could work around was to open up the last saved backup version before the original file and it did not come up with an error. So we resaved those files and had to work around it. 

It impacted work a lot but the office is a small business in Australia so we just sucked it up and dealt with it. 

I wonder how a large company would deal with an issue like this - whether they would sue Autodesk. Just curiously wondering - not being vindictive at all. 

Message 9 of 13
syman2000

Try upload the file or have Autodesk support look at the file. This has become a common issue especially when Autodesk don't support older version of Revit.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 10 of 13
ennujozlagam

post the file so we can check? thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 11 of 13
georgehobel
in reply to: syman2000

Yeah but Revit 2020 isnt an  "older version"... LOL  .  

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Message 12 of 13

maybe a larger company would have the funds to pursue it... Im just one guy.. It would be easier for me to recreate the entire job. Its just the nonsense that it even has to be a thing.

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Message 13 of 13
RDAOU

@georgehobel 

If you do not want to share anything with anyone, you cannot expect them to guess what is going on at your end and help you with it...Such kinda solution require a psychic or a fortune teller.

Did you at least contact Autodesk support? Maybe they would be able to fix the file and maybe they wouldn't but the one thing for sure, opening a support ticket doesn't need as much effort as remodeling the whole Job!!! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report