Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elevation at top label

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
ElrinaM
4844 Views, 21 Replies

Elevation at top label

When adding an "Elevation at top" label to a foundation tag. it only reads the Project base point.

Even after relocation the project, and changing it to show Survey point, the tag still only displays the project base point.

Have i missed a setting somewhere? Are there any prosepects of adding that option to the label?

Kind Regards,

Elrina

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

CADPRO Systems
www.cadpro.co.nz
Tags (2)
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
okapawal
in reply to: ElrinaM

Yes, you are right Elrina.

Elevation value in a foundation tag is not related to Project Base Point nor Survey Point.

It reports internal cordinate value.  This is a known bug.
We work on this.

You may be interested in participating in our Beta forum to review preview release.

You may find something related there 

https://beta.autodesk.com/project/forum/thread.html?cap=F32D2578538B4B1A802B54F32B07D134&forid={D684...

Waldemar Okapa

Sr Product Owner
Message 3 of 22
johk02
in reply to: okapawal

Hi,

Has this been solved? 

Thanks

J

Message 4 of 22
swilson
in reply to: johk02

Autodesk, what's the status of fixing this bug?  We need the ability to control the set of coordinates "Elevation at Top" and "Elevation at Bottom" are referencing.

Message 5 of 22
swilson
in reply to: swilson

Checking again on the status of this fix.  Anything happening?

Message 6 of 22
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: okapawal

@okapawal wrote:

Yes, you are right Elrina.

Elevation value in a foundation tag is not related to Project Base Point nor Survey Point.

It reports internal cordinate value.  This is a known bug....

I don't understand how something can be called a bug for not doing something that is not supposed to do. If the foundation tag  family had an Elevation Origin parameter that were not working, it would be fine to call this a bug. But this family doesn't even have that option. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 22
swilson
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Autodesk, is anyone working on a solution to this problem?

Message 8 of 22
lionel.kai
in reply to: swilson

@swilson It's still not fixed in Revit 2016 R2 Update 7, but it's relative to the Project Base Point in Revit 2017.2 (and maybe earlier versions of 2017). IMO it would have been better to have it relative to the Survey Point (or be able to choose, just like you can for Levels), but still - at least they're usable now (without having to move everything in the project).

@Alfredo_Medina Try reading up on Project Base Point and Survey Point and how they are used, then it might be easier to understand why it's a bug to have parameters report internal (hidden) coordinates instead of elevations relative to the Site Points. I was also confused when I first started learning about Revit's coordinate systems (and still get confused occasionally, since we're not Civil and don't need to mess with them every day), but after you get used to them it makes a lot of sense.

Lionel J. Camara
BIM Manager at KAI Hawaii, Inc. - Structural and Forensic Engineers
Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 9 of 22
ToanDN
in reply to: lionel.kai

Not sure if I understand the problem correctly.  Seeing nothing wrong.

Capture.PNG

Message 10 of 22
lionel.kai
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN You didn't state it, but you seem to be using 2017? That's why you're not seeing the bug above.

BTW, thanks for reminding me about the "Elevation at Bottom Survey" and "Elevation at Top Survey" parameters available to Labels in Structural Foundation Tags (and Schedulable in the Project, but not visible in the element's Properties). 🙂 I remember reading about those somewhere, but had forgotten about them when I was writing the previous post (I was just looking at the Properties in each version to see when/if they fixed the bug). I happened upon this thread while working on a 2015 project, so the 2017 fix doesn't help me, unfortunately.

Lionel J. Camara
Message 11 of 22
Alfredo_Medina

@lionel.kai wrote:

@Alfredo_Medina Try reading up on Project Base Point and Survey Point and how they are used, then it might be easier to understand why it's a bug to have parameters report internal (hidden) coordinates instead of elevations relative to the Site Points. ...

Thank you for your recommendations about readings, but I think don´t need to read about those topics. 🙂

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 12 of 22
ToanDN

Yes I use 2017.  If they have provided the functionality in the recent version then I see no points asking for it for the earlier version.  If you must show it in pre-2017s, why not using Spot Elevation which you can make it read the value relative to the survey point?

Capture.PNG

Message 13 of 22
lionel.kai

I'm not asking for it in the previous versions (although it would be nice, but I know we won't get it). 🙂 I was mainly posting in response to all the unanswered "is this being fixed?" posts in this thread so that anyone else who came across it like me (it's in the top 2 for a Google search on the problem) will at least know what versions it works in (and which ones it doesn't). With those two other "hidden" properties, we have everything we need in 2017+.

As for the 2015 project that brought me here, the workaround was to just use Text because spot elevations (as is commonly suggested) can't be used to show top and bottom elevations in a plan cutting through the footing (as far as I know, and tried). Thanks.

Lionel J. Camara
Message 14 of 22
ToanDN

Spot Elevations in 2015 work the same as 2016.  You can make them reference the value relative to either Survey Point or Project Base Point.  They will snap to a Foundation on Section, elevation, or plan.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Message 15 of 22
lionel.kai

@ToanDN Correct.

What had stopped me from using them is that you can NOT put a spot elevation on a foundation that's being cut by the plan view's cut plane.

However, I just realized now that you CAN use it if you adjust the plane to miss the footing, THEN return the cut plane to the original setting after spot elevation placement - the Spot Elevation remains visible in the view! I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier (what happens when you're rushing out a job...) - for the same reason, I also didn't think about making a tiny Plan Region that would get covered by the leader's dot (but I think the previous workaround is better/simpler).

Lionel J. Camara
Message 16 of 22
ToanDN

@lionel.kai wrote:

What had stopped me from using them is that you can NOT put a spot elevation on a foundation that's being cut by the plan view's cut plane.

However, I just realized now that you CAN use it if you adjust the plane to miss the footing, THEN return the cut plane to the original setting after spot elevation placement - the Spot Elevation remains visible in the view! I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier (what happens when you're rushing out a job...) - for the same reason, I also didn't think about making a tiny Plan Region that would get covered by the leader's dot (but I think the previous workaround is better/simpler).

@lionel.kai

I just did this straight out the OOTB template.  Spot elevation snapped to a Foundation cut by the Floor Plan cut plane right off the bat.  No workarounds involved.  I will upload a screencast in a few minutes to show the process.

Capture.PNG

Message 17 of 22
lionel.kai

Wow. The inconsistency in Revit never ceases to amaze me...

@ToanDN Yes, I am able to put a Spot Elevation on an Isolated Foundation (even when cut), as you show in your Screencast. However, the project in question was using micropiles, and I had Slab Foundations. I just checked Wall Foundations also, and you cannot place Spot Elevations on Slab or Wall Foundations while cut by a plan view's Cut Plane. While I'm at it, you cannot put Spot Elevations on Walls, Columns, or regular Floors while they're cut either. You CAN put a Spot Elevation on a beam that's cut, though...

Very odd. Not sure what the logic is.

I had thought of doing a Screencast earlier, but didn't think it necessary. LOL. It makes me think of the blind men feeling the elephant - except you were looking at spread footings and I was looking at mat footings on this Revit "elephant." 🙂

Lionel J. Camara
Message 18 of 22
Radish_G

Hi @ToanDN,

If you don't mind, can you share the this family.

Regards
Radish G
Message 19 of 22
ToanDN
in reply to: ElrinaM

There is no Spot elevation that can do what you highlighted automatically.
Message 20 of 22
Radish_G

Hi @ToanDN,

Noted with many thanks.

Regards
Radish G

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report