Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

edit Survey or project base point, what's the best option?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
327 Views, 2 Replies

edit Survey or project base point, what's the best option?

So here are 2 ways to get the right coördinates in Revit from 2 different bloggers;

A: tinyurl.com/qzzn76k

B: tinyurl.com/ohfn2do

We currently use option B, edit the projectbase point.

However, option A is a lot easier a colleague found out.. but does it do the same in principle? 

Can we import from C3D and Autocad an can we export to the right coödinates (DWG/IFC/NWS etc.)

Does the 'shared coördinates' work with this?

We just want to be certain that it will do everything oké before we change our method.

And if option A works fine, then why is there a project base point ánd a survey point in the first place? 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alisder.Brown
in reply to: Anonymous

Mwullink

Your colleague is correct, option A is the easier more logical option.

I am based in Scotland and find option A works best for all uses, and its much quicker as well.

Placing the survey point onto a specified N/E gives you your "station point" within Revit, which essentially puts your model where it is meant to be in real world coords. This frees up the base point, which (if pinned) will allow you to relocate your model geometry easily in the future without affecting the station point coords (which should remain a constant within the file)

This will still allow you save the locations and create a shared coordinate system with no problems as wel.

Method B may be best suited for the blogger as he said he was based in the Netherlands, but i don't see it as the best option.

hope this helps

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Alisder.Brown

Tnx for the reply Alisder, will take it under cosideration.

We are based in the Netherlands to. I'll try and contact the blogger to find out why he uses that methoded.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report