Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draw Order Issues

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
liz.nahm1
273 Views, 5 Replies

Draw Order Issues

I am having issues with draw order & cannot seem to figure it out.  Revit Help says to 'Modify <element> tab

liznahm1_0-1705099065253.gifArrange panelhttps://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-8369F5F7-35D4-434A-9BF7-4120014F4506.  I think that might not apply to components, but not sure. I cannot for the life of me find the 'arrange panel' or figure out how to follow those instructions.  What am I missing? I can't see things that I need to see, b/c I can't figure out how to move back, to front etc.  I found a work around for some of the issues, but now I have base cabs on top of my counter top.  I can see in 3d the base cabs are actually in the right place in space, I just can't see the sinks in plan view any more. Any help appreciated.  I do have a template applied to the plan & can see that the VG for for 'imports in families' is on:\ 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
barthbradley
in reply to: liz.nahm1

Draw Order is for 2D Detail Components, not 3D Model Components.  

Regarding your issue, I have some ideas/educated guesses, but let's avoid the back and forth.  Just post your Project File here so we can take a look and see. 

Suggested reading: 

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-58711292-AB78-4C8F-BAA1-0855DDB518BF

Message 3 of 6
liz.nahm1

I don't believe cut lines were involved in my issue as the placement in space was not problematic, just my view in plan.  It looks like I could not see my sink holes in the counter top for some reason & I thought that the counter should cover the cabinet entirely in the tutorial I was working on.  I added sinks in the sink holes & now it looks fine. I am really looking for a 'move to front', 'move to back' options similar to what exists in CAD, but maybe that is not a thing in Revit. I have some other items that are still hiding in certain views, but I'll just schedule a support call to suss those out as I have devoted a lot of time to finding a solution and still haven't found one:\  Thanks anyway.

Message 4 of 6
mhiserZFHXS

It doesn't exist in Revit because you are actually looking at a 3D model from a given view. What you see is what's there, not just a bunch of lines. There are ways to manipulate the model to do what is seen though. The main thing is to adjust the visibility of objects in the family editor. For instance, our counter top's 3D geometry is not visible in plan views, so that the base cabinets can be seen underneath. Instead, it has detail lines drawn around the perimeter of the counter and that is what shows in plan. 

You can do this piecemeal by overriding an element's graphics and making them transparent, but you really don't want to have to do this every time you place your counter, or anything, in a project.

Actually, after rereading, maybe your counter does have the model lines around the edge, but since YOU added the cutout for the sink, you may have not added detail lines around its perimeter so it shows in plan.

As Barth said, it'd be easier to figure out with the model though. This is just a shot in the dark.

Message 5 of 6
liz.nahm1

Thanks ok. That's what I was starting to think. It's all about VG settings in terms of views, the rest is often just about correct placement I am learning. 'Why can't I see this thing,' seems to be the most time consuming aspect of learning Revit, LOL!

Yes, I can see the base cabinet model lines in plan w/the counter in place which I mistakenly thought was an indication that the base was on top of the counter.  Further compounding the confusion is the fact that the sink cutouts are visible when the base is not under the counter.  Meaning the sink cutouts disappear when I place the base cabs making it appear as if the base is on top of the counter.  In the course I am following along with, the instructor's sink cutouts are visible both before & after the base cabs are in place. This caused me to think my base cabs were on top of the counter.  The issue is I should still be able to see that a sink is there. Placing actual sinks solved the issue, b/c a sink is now visible in plan.

I did not add the sink cutouts I used a counter w/round sink cutouts already in the element.  

Thanks for your thoughts!

Message 6 of 6
patrickSF22Y

I'm also experiencing an issue with the draw order of two detail items, such as a line with thickness and another detail item on top of the line. Previously, this functioned without any problems in earlier versions of Revit. I believe this is a bug that Autodesk needs to address and resolve asap.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators