Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doors in Revit

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
749 Views, 9 Replies

Doors in Revit

Hi, 

I'm creating a door family in Revit and i'm wondering if people use the exact pivot point of the hinge or just put it on the corner of the door? Most of the models i've seen just seem to use the corner of the door but obviously the swing angle will be wrong. Is this bad practice? Do architects actually use this swing angle for anything? 

Thanks in advance, 

Josh  

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
bin
Advisor
in reply to: Anonymous

Will it show the difference on a floor plan?

Message 3 of 10
_Vijay

yes better show the  angle for the door direction and closing angle. 

Message 4 of 10
georgehobel

at some point.... people have to realize that the paper your plans are printed on goes away... The only thing that matters is that we all know doors dont pivot at the exact corner.  That level of detail wont show any differently on your plans, and wont cause any confusion for the door manufacturer, as he wont even be looking at your plans.  the only people this will offend are the OCD crowd... 

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Residential Building and Design
Message 5 of 10
HVAC-Novice

while you are technically right in the endeavor to be correct, this would be over-modeling. 

the specifications will list door manufacturers and describe how a door works. there is 0% chance the contractor will install a door with the pivoting point at the wrong location since no manufacturer would fabricate it the wrong way. 

All the plan really needs to show is the size and direction of door, and a schedule that shows what type (brand, model, hardware etc.).  In a 3D view or video, the doors are shown closed, so a realistic view is not impacted by this "fault".  It probably would make more sense to physically show door hardware (panic bar etc.). But again, over-modeling and this is better handles with a schedule. Color and material also makes more sense than modeling the pivoting pint. 

Not only you spend a lot of time making the family (and show all changing details), you also need more computing resources for rendering. You also would need to maintain the family when you add new features you need to show. For example if want to schedule a panic bar, I just add a parameter and schedule that. done. If you actually want to show that, you make much more effort. 

All good ideas, and would be nice to have, but not necessary for most if not all construction documents. Ultimately we create a legally binding contract document. And I'm the one who modelled doors with glazing options to show correctly, so I understand the desire to be accurate. 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 6 of 10
ToanDN

My standards:
- For edge hinged swing doors, the pivot point is at the corner of the door panel.
- For floor/header pivot doors, the pivot point is offset from the edge of the door per based on manufacturer.
- On plan: 90 for new doors, 45 for existing. All doors shown close on elevation and 3d.
Message 7 of 10
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

Do architects actually use this swing angle for anything? 

That's kind of an odd question. Absolutely, it critical information in design, space planning, code compliance, interference checking, etc.

Here's one scenario to solve for that is all about "swing":  

Door Swing.png

...or, you could just use Bamboo Bead Curtain Doors. he, he.  

Bamboo Bead Curtain Door.png

😉

Message 8 of 10
georgehobel
in reply to: barthbradley

we're talking about the difference of roughly 1/8"... sure it matters, but if youve ever been the one to hang a door, they dont always land within 1/8" of the center of the opening anyway... it just doesnt happen.

George Hobel
Reflections of Charlotte
Residential Building and Design
Message 9 of 10
barthbradley
in reply to: georgehobel

LMAO! I feel like I've walked into a Twilight Zone Episode.  "One-eighth inch"???  What are we talking about now?  

Can someone turn on the lights so I can find the exit door. 

Message 10 of 10
mcobb

I tend to agree with forum participants who are talking about over-modeling things. On the other hand, there ARE circumstances where the "throw" of the hinge will matter, and I can certainly imagine scenarios, particularly in medical work, where a "wide throw" would make a substantial difference and could be helpful in portraying a realistic clearance for accessibility issues. The knuckle of hinges is usually upwards of a half an inch in diameter, so the effect is, for starters, is more than 1/8th of an inch and actually is more like 1/4" (for what it is worth).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators