Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door Lintel not showing on desired cut plane level

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
i_hasib
1241 Views, 18 Replies

Door Lintel not showing on desired cut plane level

Hello all. I am having a problem. I have created a door family with a lintel above creating a volume on the wall and it's flexing well. problem is, i am trying to prepare a plan showing only lintel. Which is not showing correctly on desired cut level. 
I have attached some screenshot. The door is 7'-0" height on the plan, and the cut plane is set to 7'-2" as the lintel is 4"  on depth.  The lintel is set as "when cut in plan/RCp"  

If i change the view range on the family level( like 7'-2"), problem goes but  the display on the project file floor plans  changes with different cut level not showing the door opening ( like cutting at 4'-0") which shows only the lintel then. 

What is the solution! Anyone can Help! 

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
mhiserZFHXS
in reply to: i_hasib

I'm guessing you have the Plan/RCP box unchecked if you go into the lintels visbility/graphics overrides.

mhiserZFHXS_0-1680702843757.png

Message 3 of 19
i_hasib
in reply to: mhiserZFHXS

"When cut in plan/RPC" is on, along with left, right. But not plan/RPC.  ( see door5 on attached image)

If i add plan/RPC it shows the lintel, then again if i cut at 4'-0" level for the door opening to show, the lintel shows over the door opening view.  ( see Doo6 on attached attached image)

Message 4 of 19
i_hasib

Basically, the extruded lintel i have created on the door frame is not showing on it's level of cutting ( see attached image, Lintel is at 7' with 4" depth upward). 

All part is created inside door family. 

Message 5 of 19
barthbradley

What you are describing is exactly how Revit displays Door and Windows.  

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Revit-Windows-and-...

Message 6 of 19
barthbradley

Not clear on what you want though. Do you want to see the Lintel or not in Project Plan View?  

...if you want to see it, why don't you model it another Family (such as Generic) and nest it into the Door Family?  Maybe model the Lintel in its own Subcategory so you can control its visibility in Project Views.  I mean, it's not typical to show Lintels in Plan Views, so maybe you should have a way to turn it on and off depending on what you want a particular View to show.  

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-8C1F9882-E4AB-4E03-A735-8C44F19E194B

Message 7 of 19
ToanDN

So you still want to show the lintel when the cut plane is below it?

Message 8 of 19
i_hasib
in reply to: barthbradley

Yes i want to show a separate level with only showing lintels over wall in floor plan. It's required on our working drawings.

Making the lintel as a generic and then add it into the door family may work as you've suggested. Thanks. I'll have to try how to do it.

Message 9 of 19
barthbradley

@i_hasib wrote:

Making the lintel as a generic and then add it into the door family may work as you've suggested. 

It will work. No doubt about it.  Don't forget the Subcategory TIP.  You'll thank me later. Promise.  

Message 10 of 19
i_hasib
in reply to: barthbradley

Sorry, i am new with Revit so my knowledge is limited. 

I  have tried the generic model for lintel and added into the custom family door. I am facing two problems.
1. I cannot set and relate any parameter of the wall thickness relation to the lintel(generic model) other 2 parameters (depth+lendth) can be set but not the wall thickness part. Can you help how to do it! 
2. I have added the sub-category for the lintel(generic model). It woks on generic model v\g view but cannot find on the door family v\g list. Any idea why!  Sorry for being so amateur. 

Message 11 of 19
barthbradley

Post the family here and we'll fix 'er up. 

Message 12 of 19
i_hasib

Here they are, main lintel is the generic, other one is door family. 

Message 13 of 19
barthbradley

@i_hasib wrote:

Sorry, i am new with Revit so my knowledge is limited. 

I  have tried the generic model for lintel and added into the custom family door. I am facing two problems.
1. I cannot set and relate any parameter of the wall thickness relation to the lintel(generic model) other 2 parameters (depth+lendth) can be set but not the wall thickness part. Can you help how to do it! 
2. I have added the sub-category for the lintel(generic model). It woks on generic model v\g view but cannot find on the door family v\g list. Any idea why!  Sorry for being so amateur. 

Lintel Family needs to be SHARED and Parameters in Lintel Family need to be Instance Parameters and Associated to Host/Parent Parameters. As for the Lintel Subcategory, that will be available at the Project level. 

Message 14 of 19
barthbradley

Try this one. Hopefully I didn't miss anything.  Let me know.

Message 15 of 19
barthbradley

oops. Try this one instead...

Message 16 of 19
i_hasib

Works perfectly. Thanks a million @barthbradley. Can you share how did you add that host wall thickness parameter! 

Message 17 of 19
barthbradley

It's a Reporting Parameter - a very special one.  It's used in a Formula.  

The secret is to pull the dimension between the Family's Host Wall Faces ONLY (e.g. exterior face to interior face) - NOT REFERENCE PLANES.  Reporting parameters can only be used in formulas if their dimension references are to host elements in the family. Learn that mantra.  Revit will bark it at you from time to time. 

Help | About Reporting Parameters | Autodesk

Message 18 of 19
i_hasib

I tried it, it works. Thanks again. 

Message 19 of 19
i_hasib

@barthbradley Hello, how are you. Hope you are doing great. I am having difficulty adding the lintel on schedule and tag. Can you guide me how to achieve that! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report