Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door appearance in plan

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1907 Views, 6 Replies

Door appearance in plan

We have a door that was modeled to match an existing condition in a project and the person who modeled it is no longer with the office. In elevation it presents just as it should but in plan it's a bit messy. The doors are part of a HM screen system, which we have been modelling using a curtain wall family and inserting the doors in a panel but there are a few things about it that don't look correct:

- The face of the door won't align with the face of the curtain wall mullion

- In 'existing' phase the mullions and door don't fill with the standard grey hatch

- The door thickness is not shown on the perpendicular line of the swing

- The door mullions create a double-mullion condition when up against a glazed unit (instead of a back-back mullion with glazing in one side and the doors top on the other. At 1:100 this may not be a huge deal but it will cause problems when it comes time to provide dimensions on our door and screen schedules.

I have only a smattering of knowledge when it comes to families. Is there an online tutorial that walks through how to model doors in curtain walls that would address some or all of these issues?

I've included some sketches of the door in plan and elevation as well as the family file for reference.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RevitRx
in reply to: Anonymous

Doors can be incredibly tricky to adjust/manipulate/reverse engineer. Typically, the door swing is a separate family nested into the door family. I'd check that first. I'd also look at the other model elements to see if they are hidden in plan - part of the element's properties in the properties sidebar. (I'd offer more help, but we haven't upgraded to 2019 yet)

www.RevitRx.com

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.
Message 3 of 7
barthbradley

I'm not clear on your workflow. The family you posted is a Wall-Hosted Family . In other words, it hosts to a Basic Wall.  So, in order for it to host into a Curtain Wall, a Curtain Panel would need to be replaced with a Basic Wall Type which could then host the Door.   Is this the workflow you are using?  

Message 4 of 7
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

We have a door that was modeled to match an existing condition in a project and the person who modeled it is no longer with the office. In elevation it presents just as it should but in plan it's a bit messy. The doors are part of a HM screen system, which we have been modelling using a curtain wall family and inserting the doors in a panel but there are a few things about it that don't look correct:

- The face of the door won't align with the face of the curtain wall mullion

The door you posted is not a curtain wall door, so you have to control its location by the Location line/location line offset of the wall panel hosting it.

- In 'existing' phase the mullions and door don't fill with the standard grey hatch

The door family should have 3d geometry visible and being cut by the cut plane in order for the phase overrides to override its to a grey hatch.

- The door thickness is not shown on the perpendicular line of the swing

You have to modify the door family and either make the 3d geometry visible for Plan/RCP, or add more 2d detail to show the thickness and whatnots.  

- The door mullions create a double-mullion condition when up against a glazed unit (instead of a back-back mullion with glazing in one side and the doors top on the other. At 1:100 this may not be a huge deal but it will cause problems when it comes time to provide dimensions on our door and screen schedules.

Many possibilities.  Need to see the actual curtain wall model to explain.  

I have only a smattering of knowledge when it comes to families. Is there an online tutorial that walks through how to model doors in curtain walls that would address some or all of these issues?

Try youtube: curtain wall with door tutorial

I've included some sketches of the door in plan and elevation as well as the family file for reference.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks for the replies.

- How do I change the wall panel position relative to the line of the curtain wall. When I select the panel (before putting a door in it) and try to move it, it brings the entire curtain wall with it.

- I've tried turning on all of the 3d geometry but not all of it is appearing in the model. The cut plane is at 4'-0" so it should be going right through the door

- So to show the door thickness on the perpendicular line of the swing: Is it best to do that with a separate nested family as RevitRx suggested? If I actually rotate the 3d geometry to 90° then I imagine it will mess up my interior elevations. Is there a tutorial that shows how to do the swing as a nested family because like everything in Revit I'm sure doing it properly is much more complicated than I want it to be.

- Is the attached model helpful?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Yes, sorry if that wasn't clear. That's what I meant by "using a curtain wall family and inserting the doors in a panel". Hopefully the model I attached to my reply to ToanDN will make things clearer.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: RevitRx

Thanks for the leads. I've seen a nested door swing in other door families, but as seems to happen so often my Revit skills (even after two years of working in it!) are not up to the task of translating what I see in an existing family to successfully replicate it in a new family.

And you're not missing much without 2019. We only upgraded because the office got new 4K monitors and the older Autodesk products wouldn't support the new displays.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report