Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance between ceiling and floor directly below

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
5111 Views, 10 Replies

Distance between ceiling and floor directly below

Hi,

Is there a way to display height of ceiling which would be measured to floor which is exactly below? Keep in mind that floor doesn't (and isn't in my case) corresponding to the levels set in model. I'm working on a project where floors everywhere are at different levels and so do ceilings follow - we can't find a simple solution to display ceiling height measured above floor level other than writing it by hand.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Sahay_R
in reply to: Anonymous

Use a ceiling tag. A Ceiling Tag w Height.rfa can be found in the OOTB Library under Annotations.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Sahay_R

Hi Rina,

Thanks for the input but I'm afraid that maybe I didn't make myself clear. Ceiling tag only shows ceiling height above defined floor level. If the floor though is placed with height offset from level then the ceiling height to that specific floor (object) is incorrect.

I think the image below shows better what I mean - I need a ceiling tag showing height 2746 (distance to the modeled floor below) while it shows distance 1277 which is distance to defined floor LEVEL. So as there are modeled floors at different heights and ceilings at different offsets we want to make it as automatic as possible. Currently only option we see is to display either absolute value or write it each by hand (which obviously isn't the best way).

Capture.PNG

Message 4 of 11
Sahay_R

Are the secondary floors associated with a secondary level? 

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

No, both elements (ie. floor and ceiling) are associated with the same level. Floor is at a negative offset while ceiling at positive.

Message 6 of 11
Sahay_R

I would associate the floors with a secondary level then. 

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

What do you mean by secondary? For display purposes we need these elements referenced to the level on which they should be displayed. Could you show an example of how would you do it? (ie. show ceiling tag distance to floor which isn't at level's height?)

Message 8 of 11
ToanDN

Create a ceiling based generic family and add a reference line a distance from the ceiling.  Dimension the reference line to the ceiling and give it an instance length shared parameter. Load it in and host on a ceiling, go yo a 3d view or section to stretch the bottom of the family to meet the floor.  Tag the family with the shared length parameter above to report the distance between the ceiling and the floor.

P/s: use a reference line instead of a reference plane do that you can have the stretching grip in 3d.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

But wouldn't I need to stretch the reference every time I place the family? I could even handle that since the project isn't that big if I could lock the reference to the floor... Good suggestion - I'll try to check this.

Message 10 of 11
ToanDN

Scratch that.  I have a better solution using a two point adaptive family.  Place it by picking one point on the floor and one point on the ceiling on a 3d view.  See screencast and sample 2017 file.

Capture.PNG

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks a million! Too bad though that there's no such solution OOTB.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report