Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detail Component Names Inserted From Another Project

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
davidtetro
717 Views, 6 Replies

Detail Component Names Inserted From Another Project

I have a series of details in a template that I import into projects. I find that when inserting the details, I get a message indicated 'Nominal Lumber Section 2x6 Has Been Renamed...' So, now I have multiple families of similar detail components. Is there a way of disabling this or an easy way to combine families so I do not end up with several renames of the same detail components? By the time I am completed with a project, I end up with 2 to 3 variations of detail component families. It gets annoying to manage this, find them, rename them, etc. so that there are no duplicates.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Ilic.Andrej
in reply to: davidtetro

The message appears because the families are slightly different.

What you can do is select one instance of the "family duplicate", right click and then "select all instances in entire project". Go to the type selector and just change to the original family. Open the project browser, find and delete the family "duplicate".

Andrej Ilić

phonetical: ændreɪ ilich
MSc Arch

Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni

Message 3 of 7
davidtetro
in reply to: Ilic.Andrej

That does not always work. Selecting the duplicates and changing their instance and/or family re-orientates and/or prepositions the components. This leads to having to go through all the details and fix those components that have shifted from their original positions.

Message 4 of 7
Ilic.Andrej

There's no magic wand that will suddenly input all your thoughts into Revit. Either be selective when editing families that are used in multiple projects or be thorough when updating all the instances after editing. Maybe you should just avoid doing some major things during editing of the family (like moving the whole geometry from its original position for example....)

Andrej Ilić

MSc Arch

Message 5 of 7
davidtetro

All I am asking is if there is a system variable or something that will merge detail component families together when you import details into a project so that multiple detail component families do not exist. Seems pretty simple to do, I would assume. thanks for the lecture, though.

Message 6 of 7
Ilic.Andrej

I apologize, maybe there is a solution....Lets try to understand the problem. So what you want is this:

You have the content A and the content B. The content A is named "Balloon" and the content B is also named "Balloon".  When you import Content A into the project where the content B is, you want it to keep its name. Everybody likes "Balloon". So the computer is like: "Okay mister, no problem, select all instances of the content A and then change it to content B..." And then you say "No! I want to keep the content A and its original name "Ballon"!!!", and the computer is like: "But now I have two contents of the same name! How can I know what is what?!" And then you just do you special move and finally shut him up "I don't care! You are a machine! You serve me! This is your problem! You figure it out!"....

Hope you have sense of humor. I'm not evil or anything like that....Cheers

Andrej Ilić

MSc Arch

Message 7 of 7
davidtetro

It is all good - I do not take anything personally. Also, my comment was meant as a joke - so no hard feelings meant. I appreciate you interest in helping. I guess what I am looking for, and not sure if there is a solution, is for Revit to just merge a family that is copied into a project when that detail component family/type already resides in the project. So, if an Anchor Bolt detail component is in both projects, why would it make a copy and rename the object when imported. It does not do that with system families like walls and other families like doors and windows. It also does not do that when you insert the same component from the master library. Just wondering why it does it with detail components and if there was a way to prevent Revit from making a copy and to have it just merge it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report