Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demolition and model in place walls - working with existing / historic buildings

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1822 Views, 9 Replies

Demolition and model in place walls - working with existing / historic buildings

Hello,

I'm pretty new to Revit and have come across a stumbling block...

A lot of the work in my office involves working with existing buildings, most of which are old and wonky. As part of a project I'm currently working on I modeled the stone walls of a cottage using 'model in place' in order to achieve the correct shape. This was going great, putting in windows and doors etc. then when I came to setting up the phase filter to show demolitions I found that it wasn't working.

I checked I had been using the correct method by starting a new file and simply creating a model in place wall and a standard architectural wall and putting a window in each. I found when setting the phase filter that demolitions do not show on the model in place wall, and in fact any openings created in the 'New Construction' phase are left visible when the filter is set to Existing or Previous phase...

Am I doing something wrong or is a known problem? Any suggestions for a workaround?

-Matthew

Phasing Problem.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

Openings ignore phases. Doors and windows work correctly with phases, even in model in place walls.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks for your reply Alfredo, but I'm not sure if you're pointing out an oversight on my part or just saying whats happening or...?

Yes the doors and windows are working correctly but, in the model in place wall, the openings created by them are not altered by phases and demolitions are not shown. They are in the architectural wall.

If I cannot show 'Previous + Demolition' using model in place walls then I am pretty stuck for being able to model my existing building... Seems like there must be a workable solution otherwise it is quite a big problem, no?

1.png

3.png

Message 4 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

Hello, Mattew. I am not referring to something that you have overlooked. I am simply saying that Openings don't work with phases. But doors and windows do. It's simply a limitation of the software itself. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Ah I see, thanks Alfredo.

Seems strange that it works for architectural walls but not model in place, given that the windows create the opening in the first place. 

Message 6 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

As I said in message # 2 above, I see that windows and doors work correctly in regards to phases, in both regular walls and model in place walls. It's just the Opening tool the one that does not work with phases.

Message 7 of 10
loboarch

@Alfredo_Medina wrote:

As I said in message # 2 above, I see that windows and doors work correctly in regards to phases, in both regular walls and model in place walls. It's just the Opening tool the one that does not work with phases.

I am not seeing this work the same in in-place walls as it does for basic walls. The "automatic" demolished in-fill panel is NOT created in the in-place wall. I am pretty sure this has always been the case Revit does not create automatic infills for doors and windows in an in place wall.

2016-07-11_1015.png

Openings have always behaved differently and also do NOT create an automatic in fill panel no matter if the opening is placed in an in-place wall or a basic wall.

Are you seeing something different Alf, or do you have a way to make the auto in-fill show up for an in-place wall? I was not seeing that in my test?

P.S. Nice to see you back on the forums after some time away.  Smiley Happy 

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 8 of 10
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: loboarch

@loboarch wrote:

Are you seeing something different Alf, or do you have a way to make the auto in-fill show up for an in-place wall? I was not seeing that in my test?

P.S. Nice to see you back on the forums after some time away.  Smiley Happy 

Hi, Jeff

It's weird. When I posted my previous posts in this thread, I had made some tests in my computer, and I was seeing the issue only with the openings, not with doors and windows. Today I have tested this in another computer, and it works as you have described above. Hmmm, I think I will be doing the same test tonight in my home computer... 🙂 Most likely, I am wrong. 🙂

About my participation in the forum, thank you so much for the "Welcome back" to this forum. Yes, I was away for almost 1 year. During this time, I have been posting in other Revit communities, in other languages:

In Spanish, here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-bim-espanol/bd-p/317/page/9

and in Italian, here:

http://www.cad3d.it/forum1/forums/41-Revit

Nice to be welcomed back here. 🙂

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Just in case anyone else comes to this thread with the same problem, my solution was to manually model in place in-fill elements and phase them correctly. This creates a messy as existing phase, but if you only intend to show existing and demolitions it is workable.

This seems like one of those things that Revit is capable of doing but just isn't a feature yet for whatever reason... Hopefully it will get added soon!

Thanks Alf and Jeff for your replies, if anyone else has a better solution to the one I suggested it would be much appreciated as well.

Message 10 of 10
murodesign

Hi, years after, i'm facing the same problem with an existing old stone building, but with mass elements. I wonder if the post author is still around, and if he managed a better solution, because i can't even cut the mass elements with voids, as expected, and cutting with a solid makes work almost impossible besides the cutted parts don't turn yellow because they desappear.
regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report