Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting Topography from Entrance Ramp to Underground Parking

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Glazie
3427 Views, 17 Replies

Cutting Topography from Entrance Ramp to Underground Parking

I'm looking for some advice on how to cut the topography out of a parking garage entrance ramp. I'm using a building pad to cut the topography out of the parking garage itself that is under the building. The issue is that there is a portion of the ramp that is covered by earth, so I need to find a way to cut the earth out of the ramp, but keep the earth above it. I guess I'm trying to create a tunnel of sorts. This is also an issue at one end of the parking garage, as the parking area exceeds the footprint of the building above, so a portion of the parking garage will be covered with earth. 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
kgetev0711
in reply to: Glazie

Create your building pad and cut it out of the topography.

Message 3 of 18
Glazie
in reply to: kgetev0711

Creating a building pad doesn't create a tunnel through the earth; it
creates a 'hole' if you will, unless I'm mis-understanding how to use this
tool. I have a cast-in-place concrete entrance into the basement level
parking that is below grade, so I need the earth cut out of the vehicle
entrance but need it to remain above, as this will be a grassed area at
this stage.
Message 4 of 18
Glazie
in reply to: kgetev0711

Creating a building pad doesn't create a tunnel through the earth; it creates a 'hole' if you will, unless I'm mis-understanding how to use this tool. I have a cast-in-place concrete entrance into the basement level parking that is below grade, so I need the earth cut out of the vehicle entrance but need it to remain above, as this will be a grassed area at this stage.

Message 5 of 18
ToanDN
in reply to: Glazie

You could create 2 topos, one on top of the other.

Capture.PNG

Message 6 of 18
khevtes
in reply to: ToanDN

how can i do that?

Message 7 of 18
ToanDN
in reply to: khevtes

Create two toposurfaces as shown.  The thing is this only works when you are NOT cutting though the tunnel. 

Annotation 2019-12-27 162033.jpgAnnotation 2019-12-27 162048.jpg

Message 8 of 18
barthbradley

...also, if you have full Revit (not LT), you could use Dynamo to create a Variable Thickness Floor from a Toposurface and then cut the Floor with an In-Place Void -- or create your "Topo" by shape-editing a Variable Thickness Floor using Modify Sub-Elements Tools (e.g. Add Points), and then cut the Floor with an In-Place Void.   

TopoTunnel.png

Message 9 of 18
RDAOU
in reply to: barthbradley

If the whole issue is about the fill below the parking ramp...it is either to model in-place a generic model at that spot, give it earth material and  name it "Parking Ramp Backfill" 

Floor sub-elements are bugged...When one excessively fiddles with the sub elements of the Floor, one gets unpredictable/desired graphics in section views (check section 1 vs section 2 below). For some reason, since Revit 2016, the cut pattern of an adjusted floor slab tend to randomly change when the floor element is cut with a void...

Topo 1.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 10 of 18
khevtes

ok, but how do I create another topography just above if the topography is complex? (see image) I have a ramp and several interior spaces at different heights and the land must be on top but obviously also at different heights. I don't know if I explain myself. I created some construction platforms and previously had the part corresponding to those interior spaces and divided ramps of the initial surface. When placed on top, the "construction platforms" are covered and it seems that the construction platforms have no effect. Please help

Message 11 of 18
RDAOU

The attached screencast is an example of how you stack topo surfaces … keep in mind stacking works only for 3D (the tunnel will not be hollow if cut with a section/section box)

PS:

1. What  @barthbradley is a more suitable method for your project.

2. the ideal option in my opinion is to regenerate the site/toposurface as a Mass (mass or generic model family)

Forum wont allow me to embed screencast!! here is the link https://autode.sk/39jiG6V

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 12 of 18
RDAOU
in reply to: RDAOU

sc

Message 13 of 18
khevtes

What do you mean or how could you regenerate the site / surface as a mass? Right now I have the topography, do you mean turn the topography into mass and empty the tunnel?

Message 14 of 18
RDAOU

Yeah that's what I meant...After looking at the images you posted, your model gave the impression that it has to do with either mining or tunneling. Therefore, what @barthbradley suggested is more suitable than stacking toposurfaces I guess...

How to turn your whole topography into a geometry/element which can be cut using voids? Several ways to do it...

1. In the old days that was done manually using an entourage family which can be hosted on toposurface + an adaptive spline family to create a mass projected from the Toposurface...
  2. Use Dynamo same like below

Message 15 of 18
khevtes

Could you pass me the dynamo file? (280614tf@gmail.com) I have used very little dynamo I am a beginner.
After doing dynamo could you use the topography as a real topography? Could you modify your points, make subregions or divisions to the surface?

Message 16 of 18
ToanDN

Just a note before you using the Dynamo when you get it: the topography will be converted to another category such as mass, floor, or generic model. So if you want to use it, it's best after you are all done with modifying the top itself. If your topo is constantly changing, then I would carry on with modeling the tunnel going thru the topo, ignoring the fact that the topo would fill the inside of the panel, and deal with it graphically when and where need be.
Message 17 of 18
RDAOU

I would never encourage anyone to have Topo and building in one model especially when its an infra/tunnels/bridges/...  But if it is a must or for the sake of experimenting, one doesn't really need to completely get rid of the toposurface! it can always be kept in the model, diced and sliced with a slim poch deth to serve as a land cover which one can host your soft/hard scape if one is a fan of entourage families and Revit's site designer... when done, all you need is to re-run and the mass element will re-adjust.

This diagram only looks at the topo surface and it doesn't take the tunnel into consideration. Anyhow, it is a workflow, massing the site is a solution to one problem but it will trigger a new question on a new problem to solve 

Message 18 of 18
khevtes

@RDAOU Thanks for your help. Would you kindly pass me the dynamo file so that I can reproduce your solution with the dynamo? I want to do it like this. Modify my topography and then convert it to a ground using these dynamo functions that you show in the video

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report