Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom desktop PC build

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1274 Views, 3 Replies

Custom desktop PC build

Hi there,

I am looking at building a custom desktop PC for my professional use. I primarily work on Revit, but occasionally on 3DS Max and ArchiCAD. Please see list of parts I have selected for the build in the below attached screenshot. If there is anyone out there that is currently working with the same CPU and GPU, feedback on results would be great.

I am also considering scaling down from the Quadro P2000 to the Quadro P1000 to save on costs. But not sure if this is a good idea... Therefore if there is someone out there using the P1000 in a similar manner that would be great to hear feedback...

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

Don't downgrade the GPU.  If you want to save money, check if you can get a previous-generation GPU such as a GTX 1070 or 1080, or the newer GTX 1660.  If you're using the newest releases of those programs look at the mid-level RTX GPUs. 

More RAM is probably warranted if you do much rendering in 3DSMAX.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Second @dgorsman 's comment about the video card.  I'd suggest going with an RTX card, since they are less expensive than the GTX cards (Thanks Bitcoin miners) and upgrade the RAM to 32GB and possibly the Dell Monitor to a couple of 2K monitors.

Message 4 of 4
karibal

Are you trying to overclock the CPU? If not, downgrade it to a non-K intel CPU or an equivalent AMD CPU (2nd gen Ryzen 7 2700X should suit your needs, especially if you're rendering) and drop the liquid cooling to a tower cooler. Check some of noctua's tower cooler.  For storage, if you're in a very tight budget I would suggest an SSD (the samsung evo of course) and HDD combo. All of your programs and windows are inside the SSD while the revit files etc are inside the HDD. That would still give you a faster boot up without breaking the bank and that would free up your budget for your GPU if you want to have a certified autodesk GPU.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report