Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Casework Tag

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
cchayerWEAKD
548 Views, 2 Replies

Custom Casework Tag

I'm trying to create a custom casework tag and not sure how to do it as I'm still pretty new at Revit.

What I want to do is have a tag that picks up custom information I input into my casework family that differs for each cabinet. Our company tags our cabinets in a specific way and I'd like to recreate what we do in autoCAD but have Revit pick it up automatically.

Our tags include the following information:

• Cabinet code (or Prefix) - B for Base with Door - B3D for Base 3 Drawer - etc
  • Then we input the size in inches - B36 - B3D24

The prefix always changes based on the cabinet and we always show the size in inches but we draw in feet & fractional inches. When I created my own tag I was able to put in a preset prefix of B or B3D and have it pick up the width of the cabinet. This is not exactly what I want it do do because firstly I would have to make a separate tag for each type of cabinet we have to have the correct prefix.

How can I create a parameter in my tag label that will read a specific parameter in my family? I want to have a parameter in my family that has a preset prefix custom to that cabinet, and then when I add the tag to my cabinet in my project it will change automatically depending what I input in that field. How do I create custom parameters in my label and then associate it to the one in my family?

I also want the cabinet width to always show up in inches but when I change the units of the project to feet and fractional inches my tag then reads B2'-0" instead of B24. Is there a way to force it to only read in inches no matter what my project units are?

I hope this makes sense. I appreciate any help I can get on this. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
juliar123
in reply to: cchayerWEAKD

If you need to create a new parameter field that you want to tag, you must used  a shared parameter. HEr eis a guide on shared paramter:https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-E7D12B71-C50D-46D8-886B-8E0C2B285988

If you want to force your units in a tag, you can do this in the edit label. 

juliar123_0-1683828683589.png

Message 3 of 3
cchayerWEAKD
in reply to: cchayerWEAKD

Great that helps so much thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report