Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curtain Wall in Stacked Wall?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
7302 Views, 14 Replies

Curtain Wall in Stacked Wall?

Quick question - I would like a definite answer - is it possible to put curtain wall inside stacked wall?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Apparently not definitively. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 15
ToanDN

No.  But you can unstack a stacked wall and change the wall(s) to a curtain wall type(s).  Or just create a curtain wall that looks like your stacked wall type.

Message 4 of 15
barthbradley

@Anonymous: My answer not definitive enough for you? 

Go figure. Smiley Indifferent

Message 5 of 15
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

Is there a reason why you are seeking this functionality? I can pass your request to the team working on the walls improvements.

I've marked @barthbradley and @ToanDN posts as answers as this is a definitely a 'no' but we do have a couple of workaround based on your end requirement. If you want to continue the conversation, please feel to post further and let us know if you have additional questions.

Glad to help!

Regards,

Message 6 of 15
Viveka_CD

@Anonymous

AKN article on stacked walls

There are a couple of workarounds shared by our team.

1. You can unstack the walls (right click and select 'break-up' option). Then select the wall you need as a curtain wall and change the type in your properties.

See the screencast below where I've edited a couple of stacked walls and inserted curtain panels.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Hi Viveka_CD,

This request comes from the project specification. I have a university building with fixed horizon of interior glazed system-walls and directy above them G-K partition walls that reach up to the raw ceiling. Beacuase of the complexity of the model, I am working mostly in floor plan, hence the question - moving both walls (which are broke up) is quite tedious (I need to move both of them) and doesnt work as smooth as with moving a stacked wall.

Would be great if you can pass me issues to the improvement department.

Cheers,

Lukasz

Message 8 of 15
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for the response!Smiley Happy

A few workarounds from the team for you to try:

1. Create a G-K partition wall reaching to the raw ceiling, and create a curtain wall at the same position in the plan view, but keep its height lower than the partition wall, use “cut” function to embed the curtain wall to the concrete wall.

2. Create the stacked wall, right click hit ' break up' and then swap the type (As in my screencast above)

3. Try creating this using the inverse approach- for example:

• make the curtain wall as the main "container" (main wall A)
  • add required basic walls (A1, A2, etc or other curtain walls B1, B2 embedded in it). 
  • A curtain wall can host other walls and other curtain walls by swapping the panel infills.
  • Walls can be embedded into a host wall so that the embedded wall is associated with the host wall.

Let me know if this works better for you and if you have questions on the above workarounds.

For now, you can post this requirement to the Revit Ideas forum and based on interest level, the team will consider implementation.

You are also welcome to share your file or any screenshots from your model and I'll be glad to test it further - I can share a private folder if you'd prefer that. I look forward to your reply update.

Regards,

Message 9 of 15
brian_mwesige

I'm designing a dining space for a school and this space needs much of both day light and natural ventilation. I've used a perforated brick wall to achieve this. However this perforated wall needs to sit on top of a solid brick wall. The stacked wall option doesn't have curtain wall as an option to be added. It would be helpful if it was made possible.

Thanks.

Message 10 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: brian_mwesige

A stack wall assembly requires an Offset value based on one of the six different options, which a curtain wall does not have. There isn't much more effort to draw a curtain wall on top of a basic wall, or unstack a stack wall and convert the top part to a curtain wall.
Message 11 of 15
michaltaras

Dear Viveka CD,
I would like to use Stacked Curtain Wall in situation when I had a long façade to enclose, and I would need a type of curtain wall that had first row of Solid Panels (spandrel), than a row of Glazed Panels over that, and in example again a row of Solid Panels on the top. By now, year 2022, the solution is to unpin many panels in row to replace them with solid panel. Many many clicks in the way... It would be smarter to have a stacked curtain wall. In my example above combined of two types in three rows , opaque and transparent ones. The next advantage is that the grids layout could respect same indication for Justification in all rows combined.
Please consider this, or comment. Best regards,
Message 12 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: michaltaras

@michaltaras wrote:
Dear Viveka CD,
I would like to use Stacked Curtain Wall in situation when I had a long façade to enclose, and I would need a type of curtain wall that had first row of Solid Panels (spandrel), than a row of Glazed Panels over that, and in example again a row of Solid Panels on the top. By now, year 2022, the solution is to unpin many panels in row to replace them with solid panel. Many many clicks in the way... It would be smarter to have a stacked curtain wall. In my example above combined of two types in three rows , opaque and transparent ones. The next advantage is that the grids layout could respect same indication for Justification in all rows combined.
Please consider this, or comment. Best regards,

You shouldn't need to unpin any panels to re-assign types:

- Create a curtain wall type A that has 3 horizontal divisions, no vertical division, no specific panel type assigned.

- Create a curtain wall type B that has no horizontal division, vertical division per your design, solid panel type.

- Create a curtain wall type C that has no horizontal division, vertical division per your design, glass panel type

- Select the bottom and top panels of curtain wall type A and change them to curtain wall type B

- Select the middle panel of curtain wall type A and change it to curtain wall type C

Message 13 of 15
michaltaras
in reply to: ToanDN

Hello ToanDN,

Thank you for a quick response. I had this trick, but our BIM Manager would not accept this solution within office Revit standards. Curtain wall has to be as one element. For the scale of unpinning, imagine high-rise building, or long stretched airport pier.

Message 14 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: michaltaras

It is one element, read again.

Message 15 of 15
michaltaras
in reply to: ToanDN

Hello ToanDN, Thank you for the comment.
Still, I'd rather have a Stacked Curtain Wall out of the Revit Box, where I can assign fixed height of rows, and leave one as "Variable", just as it is with normal Stacked Wall. Add basic controls from the mother stacked family to its child inside (alignment left, mid, right, bottom, center, upper, and offsets) to rule offsets as a hole 1 wall, and maybe an option otherwise, to offsets for every embedded row of Curtain wall by its own. Best regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report