Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a stud walls and openings

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jrogerson97WEF
826 Views, 6 Replies

Creating a stud walls and openings

Hello,

I am very much a beginner to Revit and am trying to create a basic model of the structural aspects (stud walls, foundation, floors, trusses) of this building (seen below). So far, all I have done is created the layout in plan view using the wall tool and assigned the proper dimensions. I then copied this up for each respective floor. My next goal is to make these walls into stud walls, 2x6 @ 16" OC, just the stud walls and openings, no drywall etc. I have downloaded the content with the dimensional lumber etc. What would be the best way to go about this? Any tips are very much appreciated as I am very new. Thank you.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 2.55.05 PM.png

 *EDIT* this is for a capstone project. I just need an isometric view of the 'skeleton' for a poster. Fine details are not  too important

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

You can place individual families for studs, sill, top plate etc. To help steer you in the correct direction, what are your goals? How will you use the model?

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 3 of 7

There are multiple options and the most popular one is to not model the studs at all. 

What is your goal? Will this be a structural model? Do you need to schedule and count all lumber needed? Will this be a detailed design for the carpenters? Will studs be schematic, or do you plan to place each head, cripple and other studs? 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 4 of 7

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. This is just for a school capstone project. I just want something very simple for the poster, a simple isometric view showing the 'skeleton' of the building.

Joel

Message 5 of 7

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. This is just for a capstone project, I need an isometric view of the 'skeleton' of the building for a poster. Details are not too important, lumber count, etc. will not matter.

Thanks,

Joel

Message 6 of 7

Okay you're looking at building it "stick by stick" where the sticks are structural families (wood). You could use Curtain Walls where the panels are "empty" and the curtain grid/mullions are the stud framing. You could also create your own generic model families for the different framing components. Using the structural families you'd be using structural columns for vertical framing and structural framing for sill, plate, header etc. for horizontal framing. You''ll have to move back and forth between plan and elevation etc to fine tune everything.

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 7 of 7

ended up using the curtain grid/mullion technique. Thanks for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report