Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a standing seam metal roof in Revit 2024

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
vanderloo5
1894 Views, 4 Replies

Creating a standing seam metal roof in Revit 2024

I'm trying to find the best method for creating a standing seam metal roof and I'm finding bits and pieces of information in web searches but not the whole package.
I downloaded a metal standing seam roof family from bimobjects.com and I have the family ready to use. But how do I use it?
I opened the .rfa file and I'm finding omni class numbers that seem applicable although I'm not really sure what they do.
How do I apply this to a roof and get the correct render appearance? And how do I edit, (or access), the render appearance library to make sure this renders correctly?
Other portions of this roof are vegetated roofs so getting that to render correctly would be part 2 of this question. Using Revit 2024
Thank You

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
barthbradley
in reply to: vanderloo5

What you posted is a 2D Detail Item Family.  You need a Model Family if you want to Render. My suggestion would be to use Sloped Glazing. Mullions for Standing Seams. System Panels in-between.  

Standing Seam 71-2.png

Message 3 of 5
barthbradley
in reply to: vanderloo5

Step 1:

-Copy to clipboard the line work in the "DetailComponent_LightWeight_Lindab_SSP25" nested family that is inside the "Construction_Roof_Lindab_Standing-Seam-Roof-Steel-GreenCoat_2D.rfa" you posted. 

-Open a new Family using the Profile-Mullion.rft 

-Paste from clipboard the line work into this template. Mirror all the line work about the "Center Front/Back" Reference Plane.  Additionally, some of the fillet arcs are too short for Revit. You'll need to remove those fillet arcs and square off those corners.  Also, watch out for overlapping line work. Profile line work should be a closed loop of contiguous lines. 

-Load this Mullion Profile Family into Project.

Step 2:

-Create a new Rectangular Mullion Type that uses this Mullion Profile.

Step 3:

-Create a new Sloped Glazing Type that uses this new Rectangular Mullion Type. 

Step 1.png

Step 2.png

Step 3.png

Message 4 of 5
vanderloo5
in reply to: barthbradley

Thank You. This looks like it will work.

Message 5 of 5
vanderloo5
in reply to: barthbradley

How/what do I need to change so the mullions adjust to fit any roof? Currently the roof terminated at the end of the last mullion width. Which is short of the roof edge even though I drew the footprint to the full extent of the building width.

Annotation 2023-07-10 181447.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators