Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a sheet list while using Unicodes

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2012 Views, 8 Replies

Creating a sheet list while using Unicodes

Hello,

I'm trying to make a sheet list in Revit while using Unicode Control Characters.

We are using numbers like 1341001 as a "Sheet Number" (see attached screenshots), but we are also using a Sheet number multiple times in some cases, so there are multiple 1341001 numbers. In order to duplicate a Sheet Number we need to use Unicode Control Characters, such as LRM.

Our sheets contains of a Sheet number with a Page Number, for example:

1341001-0001

1341001-0002

When trying to make a sheet list a problem occurs. Unicode Control Characters are not recognized as a text nor a number, so if we try to sort the schedule by "Sheet Number", it fails to do so.. (see screenshot)

Is there any way to fix this problem?

I've tried different ways to sort the schedule (by Desc_line_3, by Page_number etc.), but none of those options worked.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rudi.roux
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Would the possibility of using Sheet Project Parameters along with the Combine Parameter (Revit 2017) be able to suffice for what you are trying to do? 

Have a look at THIS POST where I provided options/workarounds in Revit 2017 along with additional workarounds if you are using Revit 2016. (The Combine Parameters function was not available for sheet schedules in Revit 2016). 

Let me know what you think. 

I hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: rudi.roux

Hi Rudi,

thank you!

I think that is exactly what we need in order to complete the auto generated sheet list!

I think we will have to combine the sheet number parameter with the page number parameter to fix the problem.

The workaround you mentioned in your post is something i already tried and works for now. But we were searching for an automatic sheet list.

unfortunately we don't use the 2017 version yet. If everything goes according to plan we will start using Revit 2018 in April/May. Hope the combine parameter function is still there in 2018. 

Thanks a lot!

Kind Regards,

m.morsink

Message 4 of 9
rudi.roux
in reply to: Anonymous

It's a pleasure @Anonymous Smiley Happy

I think there will be a couple of unhappy campers if they take the combined parameters function away from sheet lists in Revit 2018, so I highly doubt it. 

Once you upgrade, your sheets lists will be a dream to work with. All the best! 

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 5 of 9
tom.flaherty
in reply to: rudi.roux

I'm encountering a similar problem. I do residential design and one of my clients has multiple options for the same elevation type. For example, we designate our elevations as A, B & C, the options include what type of appliances (electric or gas), what type of attic access (scuttle or disp stairs), etc. We use a simple sheet numbering system, for example, A1a; the capital A indicating an architectural sheet, the number indicating which sheet in the series, and the lowercase a indicating the elevation. Each elevation could have 4 different versions based on option combinations (A-E/S, A-E/D, A-G/S & A-G/D). The builder always wants the sheet number to say A1a, regardless of option combinations. So, we've been using unicodes to allow us to have several sheets with the same sheet number.

After upgrading to 2018, the uncidoe character at the end of the sheet number is displayed, in the attached images case, as a leader with a right-pointing arrow. In other cases, I've seen it as a leader with a left-pointing arrow.

Message 6 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: tom.flaherty

I did a test and the last two Unicode characters in the list work okay, not adding some weird symbol to the sheet number.  So you would need to use them instead of the others.  If you need more than 3 sheets with the same number, just keep adding the same Unicode character afterward.

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 9
tom.flaherty
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks, that's very helpful. I don't think we have anymore files that have
more than 4 different combinations. As for your last comment, sadly that is
incorrect. If I attempt to use the same Unicode with the same sheet number
Revit will say it's a duplicate number. So, I can have sheets numbered A1a,
A1a w/ Unicode RS and A1a w/ Unicode US, I can't have two sheets numbered
A1a w/ Unicode RS.
Message 8 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: tom.flaherty

@tom.flaherty wrote:
Thanks, that's very helpful. I don't think we have anymore files that have
more than 4 different combinations. As for your last comment, sadly that is
incorrect. If I attempt to use the same Unicode with the same sheet number
Revit will say it's a duplicate number. So, I can have sheets numbered A1a,
A1a w/ Unicode RS and A1a w/ Unicode US, I can't have two sheets numbered
A1a w/ Unicode RS.

I think you misunderstood my comment. 

I can have sheets numbered A1a, A1a w/ Unicode RS, A1a w/ Unicode RS + Unicode RS, A1a w/ Unicode RS + Unicode RS + Unicode RS, and so on.  So really there is no limit.

Message 9 of 9
tom.flaherty
in reply to: ToanDN

You're correct; I did misunderstand your comment. I didn't know you could
combine unicodes. That's good to know because I have come across a few files
with more than 3 combinations.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report