Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a library of my families

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
J_DuranH2JCU
922 Views, 15 Replies

Creating a library of my families

I have to model a bunch of lighting fixtures with different sizes, lighting options, etc. and want to put them all in a single library. Would the best way be to compact these be to model them out as a family and create a library (if so, how) or model them out regularly and create a library (if so, how). I'm new to Revit and need to figure out the best way to do this. Any suggestions help.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
barthbradley
in reply to: J_DuranH2JCU

Not sure what the question is.  Saving a Revit rfa file is no different that saving any other file.  Why don't you just save your custom content to the stock Revit Content Library Folder?  It's pretty decently structured.  

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/tsarticles/ts/24e0wvcXEokcfVbvUZtezv.html

Message 3 of 16
ToanDN

If you have already created different families then just save them in a folder and insert them in projects when needed. No good  reason to make them into one family.

Message 4 of 16
J_DuranH2JCU

I've created a set of lighting fixtures to upload to a website for people to download. I want them to download the fixtures and be able to get all the variants within the single download, rather than having to download all the fixtures at once. Is it possible to create a library that includes all the fixtures and that can also be downloaded? Not sure if that makes more sense.

Message 5 of 16
barthbradley
Message 6 of 16
jad447
in reply to: barthbradley

I'm responding from my personal account.

I created a different family for each variation of the fixture. Can these be compiled into a catalog? Or should each variation be created within the same family? Ex. table for 4,6 and 8 people, are all in seperate family files, can these be merged as a single family to create a catalog, or should they stay as seprate families and added into a catalog?
Message 7 of 16
ToanDN
in reply to: jad447

A catalog is associated with one family.  If you already create multiple families then no.

Message 8 of 16
HVAC-Novice

Maybe explain exactly what you mean in Revit terms? 

If by variation of a fixture you mean just a slightly different model# (different lumen package, different length of the same fixture, or trim color), you should have the fixture be one FAMILY and have each variation be a TYPE of that family. the user then downloads that family and uses the types they need. 

And it isn't clear what a "library is here. Do you mean a collection of all the fixtures you use? 

Maybe this isn't related to your questions. but i store all my families in a folder tree. Top elevel are Revit Family categories. Next level are type of fixture (Linear recessed, panel recessed etc.). the next level has the folders for each fixture model in that category (i.e. i use thre different linear recessed fixtures). that folder for one fixture family includes the ies-files, the images, the cut sheets, instructions and the family (and the family has all the types). Only one family per fixture and the variations are "types". 

Revit version: R2025.3
Message 9 of 16

I use to make my own libraries as Revit files (rather big Files) and then from there to use Copy/Paste to insert the chosen Family (Families) into my current Project File....

These Template Files (that contain only selected Families) have to be completed permanently...so to be of a real use in practice,,,

Snip - Autodesk Revit 2024.2 - [LIGHTING FIXTURES_ LIBRARY - 3D View.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
azad.Nanva

save the family in simple Template:

azadNanva_0-1723456307077.pngazadNanva_1-1723456334263.pngazadNanva_2-1723456440543.png

If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 11 of 16

I believe it's crucial to maintain both a family showroom and a dedicated library folder for these families. After creating the family template, ensure you save it as a Library Family in the appropriate folder for easy access and organization.

vitorbortoncello_0-1723494326498.png

Message 12 of 16
J_DuranH2JCU

I want to create a single lighting fixture and then in the Properties drop down menu (model group) = I want to be able to change the IES files for that fixture. I don't know a ton of Revit, so I don't know if it's possible to change the light source definition within a single family. 

Message 13 of 16

Yes, if you use the Photometric Web option for the lighting source a parameter called Photometric Web File is a type parameter that can be directed to a specific file for each type. You'll have to make sure people can download the IES files so their system will be able to use them.

You should keep each family limited to just the range of possible options that one fixture provides rather than attempting to create a family that represents multiple fixtures...for simplicity and user's sanity. If a fixture has more than 5-10 options then a type catalog will allow people to only load the fixture model type they really want instead of every variation when they only need a couple.

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 14 of 16

Thank you! If it's a single fixture, and the IES files is already embedded within my file, do I still have to provide the IES separately?
Message 15 of 16
HVAC-Novice

It depends...

If they use Revit or a Revit plugin for lighting design, the ies file in the family is sufficient. they only need the ies files separately if they need to create more types. I don't think there is a way to extract ies files from a family.

If they use a standalone lighting software, they will need the separate ies files. 

Revit version: R2025.3
Message 16 of 16
J_DuranH2JCU

Awesome, thank you 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report