Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

corrugated wall opening

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ykGM9TR
252 Views, 4 Replies

corrugated wall opening

Hi,

I have a shipping container family to which I am trying to add doors and windows.

could anyone please help me on making openings on the corrugated wall?

I am attaching container family here.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: ykGM9TR

There are several solutions.
-You can make a face based family with a void to cut holes in the container. You probably also have to make your doors and windows, but not as normal Revit door or window families.
Normal Revit Doors and windows are always placed in a wall. Because your container is not a wall you can not host standard doors or windows.
-As alternative you can place a small wall inside the created opening and then host a normal Revit door or window.
-If you create your own doors and windows you can place the void element in there.
-You also can edit the container family and create your doors ans windows in there (depending on the amount of variations)

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 5
syman2000

Typically you would just use generic model face base family and create void depression into the face. Afterward you basically create your door and window family from the void depression. Here are the face base window and door families that I've made for my other project.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 4 of 5
ToanDN

Use a SOLID (not void) mass to cut it.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
barthbradley

Insert your Shipping Container Family into an In-Place Model Family, Categorized as "Wall".  

Edit your Window/Door families and replace the Opening with an Unattached Void Extrusion that fully penetrates the Host Wall and then some. Check "Cuts with Void when Loaded" and reload into the Project. You can now cut the In-Place Wall Family containing the Shipping Container Family with the Window's Void Extrusion using Cut Geometry tool in the Project. 

Additionally, I would lose your loadable "Panel" and "Stud" Families and replace them System Families.  You'll have a much easier go of it overall (especially the framing) -- and you'll pack more valuable "I" into your "BIM" Model.  

Container1.pngContainer2.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators