Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying filters between views

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
20720 Views, 11 Replies

Copying filters between views

Is it possible to copy all filters, and their associated changes to another view template? So say we have a 3d view where we have added 4 filters, and those filters are to change colours of walls, it would be good if we could then go to another view template and add those exact same 4 filters with the changed colours without manually adding those 4 filters and doing the same changes.

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
alan.quinn
in reply to: Anonymous

If you add a Filter to the a view and apply it, to get that same Filter into another view you can Create a View Template from the first view and apply it to the second view. I know I mentioned view a few times there but take a look at the attached file. If you go into Level 3 and apply VT_1 View Template to it the wall will in fill Yellow.

I hope this helps and thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: alan.quinn

Thanks Alan, The problem with this is in my case all my views currently have view templates applied to them, so i cant just use the view template of the first view. Say for example i have a 3d view with the view template "3d view" then i have another 3d view with the view template "3d view 2". If i add a filter to the first "3d view" template to make certain walls hatch solid yellow, and i want to now have that same filter applied to the "3d view 2' view template i have to go through the exact same process of adding it to this template, and changing the cut pattern as i did with the first view template. I wish there was a way that once i created that filter, when i add it to my second view template, the actual changes will also be applied (making the wall hatch yellow)

Message 4 of 12
dplumb_BWBR

Aaron Maller (who else!) has a pretty slick trick explained here:

http://www.revitforum.org/mep-general/19980-filters-multiple-views.html#post116042

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: dplumb_BWBR

Thanks Dplumb,

While this doesn't work 100% (mainly because of the way my second view template is setup) it definitely does help, and there would be situations where it does work correctly.

Message 6 of 12
MaríaSager

Hi there!

This URL seems to be invalid, could you please tell us what it was about?

Or maybe someone else has any updates on this, it'd be really useful.

Thanks and greetings!

Message 7 of 12
David_W_Koch
in reply to: MaríaSager

@MaríaSager 

Given that the post with the link is over 6 years old, it is not entirely surprising that it is no longer valid.  A search in Revit Forum suggests this may be the thread that was referenced:

https://www.revitforum.org/forum/revit-mechanical-electrical-plumbing-forum-mep/mep-general/20515-

I have not tested whether anything said there works.  You could duplicate a View Template that has the desired filters, and then uncheck all of the other items but Filters in the duplicated View Template, but if you are trying to add some new filters while keeping the ones that are already there, that does not appear to work - applying the "filters only" View Template will result in only the Filters in the duplicated View Template being present.

Not sure if anyone has worked out a way to get Dynamo to add Filters to a View (or a View Template) without disturbing any of the already existing Filters.

David Koch

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 12
Arciviz

No link found

Message 9 of 12
bgumPXZJF

I pulled up the link that was mentioned in the 2nd comment by using an internet archiving tool. Here is what was originally posted by Aaron Maller on May 19th 2014:

"You need to set them up in a view template, then apply or link that view template to the 3d view.
If it already had a VT on it, uncheck the filters so they Are no longer included in the VT. Then right click the 3d view in the browser > apply vT properties, apply the plan vt. It will put the filters on the view. Then go back in to the VT and add them in. "

Message 10 of 12
charles.roucher

Unfortunately, as of 2023, Revit is still incapable of transferring Filters between View Templates. You have to buy an add-in for this or write a Dynamo script. Now, don't get me wrong there are great add-in out there, problem is the more Revit add-ins you run the more crashes and spinning blue circles you will experience. Some add-ins are notoriously "heavy" on Revit (the excellent pyRevit is one, drofus is another) and performance is affected as a result. Some days productivity with Revit is so hectic, architectural and consultant firms are starting to look at solutions such as BIMBeats to analyze the OS and Servers environment around Revit to give the end users an indication on how to fine tune their Revit usage. Not all companies can afford this type of deployment though so you would think Autodesk would look at it too.

Message 11 of 12
scastro

Along these lines, It would be useful to be able to bulk add filter(s) and their effect(s) to multiple view templates.

Message 12 of 12
jwarga9ZMAP
in reply to: bgumPXZJF

My answer as well!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators