Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Area Boundary Lines to Room Boundary LInes

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jkelly
2076 Views, 5 Replies

Converting Area Boundary Lines to Room Boundary LInes

Is there any way to convert Room Boundary Lines to Area Boundary Lines, and vice versa?  I'm noticing that many of the times these lines are coincident, and it's a waste of time to draw the same sketch twice.  If you have any suggestions please let me know!

Thanks!

-Jon

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: jkelly

@jkelly , In what case do room boundaries lines and area boundaries coincide? Usually an area represents a unit, such as an apartment, which contains several rooms inside, so the boundaries are usually not the same.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6
waracana
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hi Alfredo. Sorry to maybe rescue a thread that could be closed, but I have a situation where I actually need to find a way to generate Area boundary lines from Rooms, automatically. As you suggested, Areas may differ from actual rooms, but in residential projects you may want to generate a legend from an area plan where you actually color all rooms for the client to see where all areas come from, or simply, to generate schedules where you may have more freedom (for example, not having to create a room for a stair case in order to compute its area)

My thinking is that there has to be a way to achieve this with Dynamo so that I don't have to find myself drafting area boundaries that match the room boundaries almost to a 100%..

Message 4 of 6
Corsten.Au
in reply to: jkelly

Room properties/ lines / function and area lines have no connection to each other in Revit ( it’s a different case in real world architecture etc )

Room can be created using

1. Room bounding lines 

2. Room bounding walls

3. Room bounding roofs ( if am not wrong)

whereas 

Area plans are created ONLY by area lines

what you are asking is something not logical in Revit terms and it does makes sense in design or real architecture sense

You may look into some workaround

example

create a detail group of detail lines and use this group ( common ) to create room bounding lines as well as area plan

another Revit Room and area technical information is

1. Room bounding lines are just one type ( there cannot be multiple types of room bounding lines )

2. In area plan , you can have multiple area plans ( gross, retail, interiors etc ) inshort many types of area plan lines...

so again what you are asking needs out of the box custom solution ( like detail group for reference etc )

hope that helps..

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 5 of 6
waracana
in reply to: Corsten.Au

Hi Ganesh, do think it's possible to generate area boundaries with Dynamo, obtaining the poly-lines from the perimeter of rooms, then taking those poly-lines to create area boundary lines, something like that?

Message 6 of 6
Corsten.Au
in reply to: waracana

Hi

When you create a new ' Area Plan" Automatic External walls can be picked to create Boundaries..

Secondly using Room separation lines, you may use " Pick Line " to create new area boundaries using..

I am not a dynamo expert, someone else might help you answer that..

Cheers !

Corsten
Building Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report