Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CompSci: PC performance slow, even though PC Resources not at 100%

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
CSFitzgerald
222 Views, 2 Replies

CompSci: PC performance slow, even though PC Resources not at 100%

Hello,

I have quite an intricate family and when I change a parameter or create multiple copies of the family it takes long to respond. I'm trying to understand what is causing the family to be so slow? When viewing the resource manager neither the CPU, GPU, memory, nor disk are ever running near 100%. However some of the CPU core's seem to run close to 100%, leaving the total average at about 17%. (I'm assuming that Revit can only utilise a few cores at a time?) 

Resource Usage:

GPU Usage.PNG

CPU Processors 0-4:

CPU1.png

CPU Processors 5-11CPU2.PNG

*Revit was not responding briefly during screenshot, but otherwise it went back to normal processing as in the screenshot before (CPU processor 0-4).

What is causing the PC to take so long to respond if the PC is not under complete stress in any areas?

Thanks in advance!

Connor

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TimELZ49
in reply to: CSFitzgerald

Check your family rather - what size is it, how many are there - does it have multiple faces?  This will cause Revit to respond slower, even with adequate resources.

Message 3 of 3
CSFitzgerald
in reply to: TimELZ49

I know the Revit guidelines on how to optimise family performance:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/EN...

The family is 3,3mb, but it is highly parametric. I'm aware that parameters can slow families down. Surely a more complex family will use more resources, or if the resources are full, will slow down performance. My question is, why is it not doing the former if they are not being fully utilised?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report