Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coloring Linked Revit Files

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
eyalbRAPVR
907 Views, 6 Replies

Coloring Linked Revit Files

I have been trying to find a simple way to colour consultant elements in linked files inside our architectural model. Revit fails to do that. We have asked all our consultant to insert a shared type paramater named consultant type into all their families. Each time containing a relevant text code and then tried to use filters to color by the parameter and workset. Each link is also placed in a relevant workset for that purpose. For some reason it doesn't work, or to put it more precisely, at times it does work but seems to be unstable. Any ideas how to color links in a short way. I know the long ways, but they are highly inefficient. 

Labels (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
barthbradley
in reply to: eyalbRAPVR

What about "coloring" through custom VGOs?  

Message 3 of 7
RDAOU

@eyalbRAPVR 

Workset Filter isn't working because the elements in the linked model are 

• Either on a different workset (Workset of the elements are different than that of the link)
  • Or has no workset

For the filter to work consistently you need to do the following: 

1. Select the element in the link and check the name of the Workset they are on (Example: Workset - Structural Elements)
  2. Go to collaborate and create a workset with the same name (Structural Elements)
  3. Select the Link and move it to the new workset you created in step 2
  4. Apply filter

PS: Make sure the if the Link is set to visibility to Custom or By Link - Edit and set View Filters by Host)

Color Linked model.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 4 of 7
eyalbRAPVR
in reply to: RDAOU

sounds reasonable. I'll try that. 

Thanks!!!!

Message 5 of 7
ToanDN

As a general note, Workset names, Phase names/ Phase filter names need to be identical between host and link models in order for view filters or phase filters that based on the above to work.

Message 6 of 7
syman2000

One way I've done it would be to use phasing map to quickly change the link color. However this will mess up if you have phasing in your project. First I would add phase after new construction for link model.

phase.png

When you are in the project, you can phase map the condition.

phase mapping.png

Afterward you change the graphic override and it will display as prescribe. The disadvantage is you cannot assign different color for each link.

change lines.png

My second method is to use the is worksharing display

workset.png

When you turn on the workset, it will display in different color

color.png

Then you can customized the color to get what you want.

change color.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 7 of 7
lucdoucet_msdl

@eyalbRAPVR 

Is it an all or nothing situation where none of the elements in the linked file will accept a color override by a view filter or do some elements accept the override?

If it is a selective color override problem and since you mention it occuring in the architectural project file, are the elements resisting a color override mechanical and electrical systems by any chance?

If yes to the question above, see the solution in the following discussion thread: Linked Mechanical Model - Can't Change Colors

-luc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators