Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel on floor

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2188 Views, 10 Replies

Channel on floor

Good Morning,

Does anyone know how to create a channel on a floor directly in the Revit project file, preferably by following a path similar to how we draw a wall?

Does anyone have family to make available?

thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Sahay_R
in reply to: Anonymous

Easiest way - Model In Place a generic model Void. Use the Cut command to create the trench. Sketch a rectangle of the correct size for the void extrusion. If it is a curvy trench, then a Void Sweep might be an option.

If this is a repetitive feature, then you might be better off with a surface hosted void family.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 11
barthbradley

Floor Drainage Channel? We typical do this, in new construction, as 2 different slabs with a gap between them for the channel itself (a model component). The reason we do 2 different slabs is because they will be sloped towards drain. If channel is an as-built retrofit, do the slab in 3 sections (with 1 being the dimensions of the cut for the drain). This will allow you to phase and schedule construction/demolition more accurately. 

TIP: Sometimes it's easier to build something in Revit, exactly how it will be built in the field. In this case, if it's indeed a concrete slab you are taking about, the slabs with be formed and poured separately on the job site. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Sahay_R

Good afternoon,

It's something repetitive, yes.

How do I create this empty surface family? Is it possible to do this in the template?

thanks

Message 5 of 11
Sahay_R

Please take a look at the attached files.....

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Sahay_R

Thank you for the archives.

I uploaded the family to my project, but I can not edit length, width of the channel to match the dimensions of my slab ...

Will I have to edit the family every time I use it?

thanks

Message 7 of 11
Sahay_R

Updated family file. Instance parameters have been added. You can type sizes and lengths in Properties

Capture.PNG

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you for the referral.

But in that case, he's just going to make a hole in the slab, and to apply materials to that channel, I need to edit the family, right? Also, for situations where I will have the gutter all around the perimeter of the slab, do I have to insert into each of the faces and make the adjustments manually?

thanks

Message 9 of 11
barthbradley

Is this just for practice, or is this something to be constructed? In looking at you screenshot, I'm wondering what the sloping conditions are. It appears the outside edges of the slab would need to be higher than the interior of the slab in order for these drains to be functional or necessary.  Are you going to use Modify Sub-Elements to shape the slab? 

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Good Morning,

Yes, these channels will be built.

Message 11 of 11
Sahay_R

@Anonymous to add the drafts and slope that @barthbradley mentions, you could go into the void family and edit / replace the void object accordingly.

To slope the floor, use floor shape editing tools.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report