Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

central error 'Unable to Access the Model'

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
jdhF2S5U
594 Views, 10 Replies

central error 'Unable to Access the Model'

jdhF2S5U_0-1715566338618.png

Hi, everyone.

We are working with a central file when we work with the team.
A central file may experience fatal errors. A central file cannot be synchronized somtimes.

As far as I know, the problem in the picture above appears when two or more people synchronize.
But, our teams were not synchronized and opened anyone.

Anyway, I detached this file and save the new central file, in order that for solved this problem. But it couldn't save for same name that original file. Like above picture..
If I save for different name, it's okay. Why are this problem?

Maybe, I think this reason is server(network for team) error or link rvt.
This file works in team network (not local network), and linked many link files (about 10)... I don't know the exact cause, but I think so.

I want to know the solution. If it's another cause, I'd like to know the cause.

I'm sorry if English is a strange.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
M_Meshal
in reply to: jdhF2S5U

This is mainly a server issue.

Is it possible to restart the server?

Message 3 of 11
jdhF2S5U
in reply to: M_Meshal

I don't think it's possible because other project team members also use it. As expected, it's a server problem.
Is there any other solution? Thank you.

Message 4 of 11
Simon_Weel

But it couldn't save for same name that original file.

That's weird. Is the file read-only? Or maybe opened by someone else?

Message 5 of 11
jdhF2S5U
in reply to: Simon_Weel

No, It's not read-only, and no one was opening the file. Come to think of it, the explanation was a little lacking, but non-central files can be saved under the same name. If I centralize, I can't save it.

Message 6 of 11
Simon_Weel

If I centralize, I can't save it.

That's a problem. It means someone or something is locking the file. Could you post a screenshot showing what happens if you try to save the file as a central model?

Message 7 of 11
jdhF2S5U

Of course, but that's the end of the picture I posted above.

The other window didn't pop up.

jdhF2S5U_0-1715656936281.png

Message 8 of 11
Simon_Weel

Just tried it to make sure. I create a new file and save it. Then I switch on Worksets and save the file in the same location and the same name as a Central file. And Revit doesn't display any warning whatsoever that I'm about to overwrite an existing file.

In your case, as I said earlier, it looks like the existing file is held open / locked when you try to save as a central file. And I wonder what that could be. On a Windows server, you can use Computer Management to get an overview of opened files, so if possible, check that out.

I also wonder if you can save as a central file to a different folder?

Message 9 of 11
jdhF2S5U

If I save a completely unrelated new file with the same name, it also couldn't be. The second you say, shows up like that even when everyone turns off the computer. Usually, it can be saved again after a couple of days, but I don't know why it doesn't work on the day.
It's possible to save it to the other folder you last say. But I want to save it to the same name, same folder, if possible, because I have to change all the other links.

In any case, it is inconvenient that the central file cannot be synchronized periodically, it goes wrong, and even if it is restored, it cannot be saved under the same name.

Please let me know if you know any other reasons or plans.

Thank you.

Message 10 of 11
Simon_Weel

Like I said - you have to figure out what's keeping the file locked. If it's on a Windows Server, use Computer Management:

Simon_Weel_0-1715684432830.png

You need Admin permission to run it.

You can also try another trick. Close all Revit files. Make a copy of the affected file (just in case). Rename the affected file on the server to something like xyz.rvt. Open xyz.rvt and save it as a Central file using the original name.

Message 11 of 11
jdhF2S5U

First of all, thank you. It's unlocked for now, but if it happens again, I'll try.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report