Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install update and always hang when I load family or use components from family

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
111 Views, 1 Reply

Can't install update and always hang when I load family or use components from family

I am using REVIT 2023. My computer and Graphic card is fast enough to run REVIT . However, REVIT seems crash very easily and the problem becomes obvious now. Whenever I load family in, it hangs. 

Could anyone tell me what to do?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
handjonathan
in reply to: 23567515

Hi @23567515 

Thanks a lot for posting your question to the forums!  

Crashes of any program can have multiple causes - which is also the case with Revit.

Infrequent product crashes can be difficult to pin down, as the troubleshooting process involves finding patterns in the behavior, making a change, and then seeing if the issue is cleared. When the issue is infrequent, each iteration takes longer to confirm if the issue has been cleared.

Frequent crashes generally cause more disruption, but also provide more opportunities for troubleshooting.

Note: When troubleshooting crashes, especially for multiple users, it is important to check if the crashes are related to a single cause (crashes can occur for a variety of reasons, and if you try to troubleshoot without understanding the number of different crash conditions, you will be less likely to identify any of the root causes).

To look for patterns in crashes start by reviewing journal files, recorded when a crash occurs. Open several of the journals in a text editor, go to the end of the file, and check if the lines recorded around the time of the crash are similar, or different. If seeing different lines recorded in the journals, you may need to gather a larger sample size to identify common patterns, to see how many different crash conditions are occurring).

Solution:

Basic items to check:

• Is Revit updated? In general, it is better to be on the latest update of the product. Even if the Release Notes for the update don’t specify the situation you are seeing, sometimes applying the latest update can clear up unexpected behavior, including crashes.
  • Has the project been recently Audited (and if not, does this affect the behavior)?
  • If Add-ins are installed in Revit, does the crash continue with all add-ins disabled?

Narrow Scope of issue

• Is the crash specific to a particular project?
  • Is the crash specific to a particular user account? (for example, create a new Administrative account and retest.)
  • Is the crash specific to a particular workstation?
  • Is the crash specific to a particular workflow? This can be a bit trickier to identify, but if a user encountering the issue tries another workstation and finds the same issue - on a system that wasn't previously seeing an issue - this could indicate that there is something different in their workflow.
  • Does the crash occur when the system is put into a simplified startup environment?

If checking the items above does not lead to the cause of the crashes, check if one of the following items applies to your situation:

Unrecoverable Errors

If encountering an unrecoverable error in Revit, see the following guide for issues associated with this error: Guide: An unrecoverable/fatal error has occurred when using Revit.

Crashes occurring with all projects

See the following article for a list of possible issues related to crashes that are not project specific: Revit crashes – Not project specific

Crashes occurring with specific projects

See the following article for a list of possible issues related to crashes specific to certain projects: Revit crashes – Project specific

We look forward to hearing back from you with more information so we can help you as a community! 

Jonathan Hand

Industry Community Manager | AEC (Architecture & Building)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators