Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brick Rowlock in Stacked Wall

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ahannerX5E95
883 Views, 8 Replies

Brick Rowlock in Stacked Wall

I am looking for advice on an ideal workflow for the following situation:

I have a stacked wall with a rowlock, but the rowlock needs to be removed and the exterior material thicknesses need to change.

The issue I am running into is that I have been told to edit the existing and I'm not sure how it was created.  I was thinking if I make duplicates and edit those or create a new stacked wall, this could be easier, but I am not familiar enough to know.  

Thank you for any help/advice.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: ahannerX5E95

It is a wall sweep built in one of the wall type.

ToanDN_0-1648488462294.png

Message 3 of 9

@ahannerX5E95 wrote:

I have a stacked wall with a rowlock, but the rowlock needs to be removed and the exterior material thicknesses need to change.

Can you describe the extent that the rowlock needs to be removed (partially vs all gone) and the resulting thickness changes?

Also will you need to document this as demolition and construction or is it simply a design change?

This may help us guide you to a better work-flow as editing the wall family may not allow you to effectively remove in some places and retain the rowlock in different places.

-luc

Message 4 of 9
barthbradley
in reply to: ahannerX5E95

Looks like a Stacked Wall type. Right-click on it and select Break Up from the Menu.  Or modify the Wall Type Properties by right clicking on the Wall Type in the Project Browser and pressing Edit Type Properties to get into Edit Assembly.   

...I'm with @lucdoucet_msdl though. I wouldn't edit the original. I'd Clipboard Copy and Paste Aligned to the Same Place and then make the new one a duplicate Type.  Then I'd change the Phasing of the two Wall Types so they don't overlap.   One for Existing (Phase Demo'd = New Construction) and one for New Construction (Phase Demo'd = None).  Then I'd modify the Properties of the new one as required.  

Message 5 of 9

The thickness of the rowlock will need to change, instead of being removed.  I've attached the current conditions for this design change.  The material is brick changing from 4" to 3/4" thin-set.  

Thank you for the questions, they are helping me get a better understanding, too.

Message 6 of 9
ahannerX5E95
in reply to: barthbradley

Thank you for the feedback, this may be more ideal as you described by utilizing Phasing.  I will check and report back. 

* This is new construction

Message 7 of 9

@ahannerX5E95,
So as a design change, I would stick to using a stacked wall with a wall sweep and change the sweeps parameters as suggested by @ToanDN as everything is the same new construction phase. If it were existing with a masonry repair scope of work, It would have been better to model it differently (but that's another story).
Also, safer to duplicate the wall type and make changes to a small sample in the project to then selectively re-assign the new wall type to your existing walls taking care to note and correct any errors that crop up.
Hope this helps,
-luc
Message 8 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: lucdoucet_msdl

@lucdoucet_msdl wrote:
@ahannerX5E95,
So as a design change, I would stick to using a stacked wall with a wall sweep and change the sweeps parameters as suggested by @ToanDN as everything is the same new construction phase. If it were existing with a masonry repair scope of work, It would have been better to model it differently (but that's another story).
Also, safer to duplicate the wall type and make changes to a small sample in the project to then selectively re-assign the new wall type to your existing walls taking care to note and correct any errors that crop up.
Hope this helps,
-luc

@lucdoucet_msdl Sorry I didn't not suggest anything.  I only answered what it was.  

Message 9 of 9
lucdoucet_msdl
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN,
Sorry, meant "as suggested by @ToanDN's answer" not "as suggest by @ToanDN".
-luc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report