Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIM Objects Surrounded by Boxes

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
16537 Views, 23 Replies

BIM Objects Surrounded by Boxes

My students have been downloading furniture content from Bim Object. After loading the Family into their projects and inserting them the objects appear as a solid grey box. Are there any settings that need to be looked at?????

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

Maybe the families were created for different detail levels: Coarse, Medium, and Fine. Chnage the detail level of the view to Medium or Fine and see.
Message 3 of 24
alan.quinn

Just following up on ToanDN response. If changing the detail levels to Medium or Fine does not work please supply the following:

1. What's the link (URL) to the family on the BIM Objects site?

2. What version of Revit is the student using?

3. What view(s) is the object places and in what view(s) are the objects not appearing correctly?

4. What is the scale of the view(s)?

Thanks for posting.

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous

I am guessing they are DWG (or other) imports that won't show up properly until rendered.

A reason it is always best to create content in Revit vs another program.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: alan.quinn

The Revit version is 2017

Bim Object URL: Bimobject.com/en-us/seps2bim/product/m1801

Box appears in all views regardless of Level of Detail

Box appears solid in Realistic but also changes according to View Mode

Viewport Scale is 1/8"=1'0"

Message 6 of 24
ToanDN

VG and turn off the subcategory below.

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 24
RDAOU

@Anonymous

That's the clearance zone for equipment/appliances/escalators...etc and it is required in some parts of the world as well as part of BIM standards. In the family your students downloaded, the author seems to have used subcategories to control visibility.

1. either keep it as is and continue to control it via subcategories - as @ToanDN explained (many do not like that visibility via subcategories )
  2. or edit family and change it's visibility control to be through a yes/no type parameter 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 8 of 24
alan.quinn
in reply to: RDAOU

Both the above are correct and you can also delete the EquipSpace.

Thanks for posting. 

Message 9 of 24
Seychellian
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi and thanks for this. I have the same issue with a "bounding box" around the geometries in the family environment which disappears in the project environment. It doesn't not fall under the category of Speciality Equipment however nor does it appear to be a safety zone as other poster have mentioned.  So I am not clear why it is necessary. I am not able to delete it either which is problematic as it obscures the model (in the family environment).

See attached images.

Is there way to turn them off in the family environment also?

Could you also possibly briefly touch on what they are for so that we can conceptually understand them?

Edit: Ooops turns out they were pinned and I can unpin them and then select/delete them but I am still unsure what their purpose is and whether or not it is wise to delete them. I would still appreciate if anyone could enlighten me/us on what their function is as I have noticed them in numerous families. 

Message 10 of 24
ennujozlagam
in reply to: Seychellian

hello, just delete the boxes, don't what is that could be from other program. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Seychellian

Those "boxes" are set to coarse view...so if you delete them and don't change the other modeled parts to include coarse your picnic tables will disappear in coarse views.

Message 12 of 24
rsahayEAPZD

Message 13 of 24
rsahayEAPZD

Message 14 of 24
Sahay_R

A really quick fix to definitively close this thread - select the EquipSpace object. Drag the grips so that Revit tells you that the extrusion is too thin and it wants to delete the element. Accept the prompt. 

PS - ignore the two blank responses - those were from Work Me and not EE Me. 

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 15 of 24
JasonLLINDNER
in reply to: Sahay_R

@Sahay_R you are not solving the issue ... you are forcing the famly to malfunction this deleting the offending element! With all respect to your elite Expertise of course 🙂 

Its cute how (some) expert elites on this forum post replies and accept them as solutions. Must be a desperation for getting some sort of credit else they lose the status 

Message 16 of 24
rsahayEAPZD
in reply to: JasonLLINDNER

Message 17 of 24
Sahay_R
in reply to: rsahayEAPZD

@JasonLLINDNER 

The question was about deleting the EquipSpace object. My solution deleted it and answered the question - as opposed to merely hiding it. If an element is not needed, then the best solution is to clean it out of the family and keep it as lean as possible. 

Regarding any possible malfunctions - hey, that's where the EE powers come in handy, right?

BIMObject families are merely meant to be a starting point for families that serve the purpose required by the company standards. Not customizing a manufacturer family would be a missed opportunity and a possible recipe for disaster. 

And EEs are involved in far more things than the Forums - no desperation there. 

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 18 of 24
JasonLLINDNER
in reply to: rsahayEAPZD

@rsahayEAPZD wrote:

@JasonLLINDNER 

The question was about deleting the EquipSpace object. My solution deleted it and answered the question - as opposed to hiding it. If an element is not needed, then the best solution is to clean it out of the family. Regarding any possible malfunctions - hey, that's where the EE powers come in handy, right? And EEs are involved in more things than the Forums - no desperation there. 

So from your point of view as a member of  Autodesk's Expert Elite Community point of view, causing a family to malfunction, causing unnecessary error prompts and ignoring errors is the right and professional way to solve Revit problems! How Encouraging...I hope EEs are not being involved in the development of the software 

Expert Elites used to be experts! What happened

Message 19 of 24

Hey Jason, FWIW, Rina is a highly valued and respected member of our community, and well-deserving of her Expert Elite Badge.  Why don't we refrain from the name-calling and instead, strive for a better understanding of what the other person is proposing by asking polite and probing questions.  Or, just make your point without the confrontation. 

Regarding breaking families on purpose; this is something I do quite often.  It's part of the reverse-engineering and learning process.  Obviously, I don't deliver it broken. I build it back better -- or press "undo" a whole bunch of times until it's back to the way it was.  he, he.  

Cheers!  

Message 20 of 24

@barthbradley you dont need to be dramatic no one calling anyone names...someone posted a reply 5 year later to a solved/closed issue and take the liberty to mark his/her answer as a solution (the desperation for credit was concluded due to the fact that the presumed solution came twice from an alternate account - edited and deleted -inly to be maked as solution when that someone managed to post from the EE registered account) many EE do that when there is a competition for prizes from autodesk 😉 you know bart ... and which would be fine if the EE is searching the unsolved posts but doing that on solved posts, with a NOTE " to close this thread" kinda raises credibility question. 

Apart from the above, technically speaking recommending to break the family and live with the errors can in no way be an experts opinion! 

Reminds me of one time when I was working abroad when I took my car to a workshop for service and got it back with a bunch of screws and nuts! Some Experts they were 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report