Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assy Codes based on RS Means......Really???????

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
VWD-MLM
2156 Views, 8 Replies

Assy Codes based on RS Means......Really???????

Going to setup our assemblies to coincide with RS Means online for Estimating out put......a little spot checking now has me really wondering....AND how do I/WE (the Community) actually align our Families and Assemblies to actually be with the RS MEans........

See attached for Spot Discrepancy, with no way to alleviate the problem............The Factory really needs to open the up for us to edit accordingly.

Just Sayin.

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
VWD-MLM
in reply to: VWD-MLM

Hey guys (Factory)....No Help here????.  How are we in the filed to align accurately and consistantly our Families assembly Codes with REAL RS Means Coding?

Estimating is getting ancy.....

Mike

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
BDSU 2015, 2016
Message 3 of 9
Alaaeldin_Alsahli

Hi Mike,

I am not that familiar with RS Means, Is it possible to explain the issue and maybe an example to better visualize the issue and be able to assist you on that.

I am still not sure if you are asking a solution from RS Means or autodesk?

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 4 of 9
L.Maas

I am not sure what you exactly require. Revit has Uniformat Assembly Codes. Revit 2015 has two files UniformatClassifications and UniformatClassifications2010. They are txt files. If you would need AssemblyCodes based on the list from RS Means I assume you can download an excel/text file from there? Then it should be possible to convert it so that it will be suitable for revit and would mean you would have both in line.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 9
Alaaeldin_Alsahli

a reminder that we need additional information from you to resolve your case. Once you provide the information requested, we will be able to resume troubleshooting. Smiley Happy

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 6 of 9
VWD-MLM
in reply to: Alaaeldin_Alsahli

Okay, MY BAD for this initial exercise...I dbl posted the same screen shot initially........Attached are what was supossed to be the shots.......

As you can see...RS Means has one code number for a particular assembly, where as my SAME Family, has a different Assembly Uni-Format code.......AND

We Can't change it in Revit TO MATCH the actual RS Means number.......

Yes, I am asking the Autodesk "open" the ability to change these Codes to match the RS Means numbers........across all families..........because everytime I/we need to rely on someone else down the line to cross reference codes to families vs codes from RS means visually, opens to door to more chances of getting the wrong codes/pricing/costs by them 'down the line'.....if the "I" in BIM is to be used consistantly and successfully, minimizing those cross-referencings' down the line is paramount to timely and accurate costing/estimates.

As Much as I love Revit and it's abilities, it's also like driving the titanic sometimes to getting accurate "I" out of it without 'workarounds".....Just think this needs more accessability.

MIke

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
BDSU 2015, 2016
Message 7 of 9
Alaaeldin_Alsahli

you could always edit them 

here is a video that shows how

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/15e4044a-a049-4797-911a-1d3c08c4cd8d

Also there is some third part devlopers did a visual interface to better edit assembly code

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zPmKP2AW88

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 8 of 9
Alaaeldin_Alsahli

Just a follow up... was I able to answer the question about how to edit the file.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 9 of 9
aissajez

From what it seems is that the RS means adds another level to the Uniformat II (Assembly Code) B2010110-360 (360 was added in RSMeans to be more specifix). 

What you can do is download the Table that RSMeans uses as a text file, and create a project parameter (text paramater and call it RSMeans for example) than create a schedule that's based on Assembly code and enter the equivalent Code in the RSMean text parameter. (You can go a lot faster doing this in the schedule table than by elements / types).

That way when you export your schedule you'll have the same codes, this is my suggested workaround.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report