Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angled cut in curtain walls (wall cladding) - workarounds don't seem to work

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ale_jablonski
1916 Views, 7 Replies

Angled cut in curtain walls (wall cladding) - workarounds don't seem to work

Hi guys, I've been trying to do an angled cut on this wall cladding in order to match with the rafter/beam without success.

ale_jablonski_0-1648775483481.png(fig. 1)

Details:

- I created this wall cladding using a Metric Curtain Wall Panel template. 

- Each part of the curtain wall is looking like this, I think the high number of individual parts worsen the problem (since it covers long faces of the shed).

ale_jablonski_1-1648775708611.png(fig. 2)

What I have tried with no success:

- Cut geometry using a reference plane;

- Attach top/base using a reference plane;

- Edit profile/boundaries of the curtain wall;

- Select curtain wall and change the angle of the grid;

- Repeat the profile (fig 2.) a couple times after each other on family creation in order to create longer/less parts(?).

I haven't tried any mass solution yet because It shouldn't have such a complex solution for this case I guess.

If you guys have any ideas I would much appreciate it. 
Thanks.

Labels (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: ale_jablonski

Custom curtain panels only work with rectangular shapes.  Workarounds:  Use vertical mullions with a corrugated profile to create vertical ribs.  No panels at all.

Message 3 of 8

Corrugated A.png

FWIW: This entire corrugated structure is modeled with Curtain Walls having only Mullions.  Opening and gables were made by editing the Curtain Wall profiles.  

Message 4 of 8
RDAOU

@ale_jablonski 

What @barthbradley  suggested is brilliant (only mullions) but what if you want to quantify panels...right?

Several ways to do so

1. use a pattern based component on a divided surface
  2. add a void in the custom panel to cut the top at an angle 
  3. or even simply cut and trim the curtain wall to the shape you desire (USING only Panels similar to the below GIF)...ie: what @ToanDN  stated on custom panels working only for rectangular shaped walls is not entirely true 

Parametric Custom Curtain Panel 1.gif

Parametric Custom Curtain Panel 2.gif

RDAOU_0-1648844924321.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 8

Really appreciate your replies guys.

Ah, I forgot to mention one thing I've done, which is: I used an existing curtain wall profile (Curtain_Wall-Exterior_Glazing) and then edited type using the one I created:

ale_jablonski_0-1649020175722.png

Since I'm beginner/intermediate and haven't really been using curtain walls much, I don't know how to put in practice some of the solutions you guys suggest 😂, sorry.

As far as I understood what @barthbradley and @ToanDN suggested, they simulate the cladding with mullions only, right? It's cool but I really wanted a real cladding on it.

@RDAOU thanks for all the effort making the gifs. I'll try to create a family using a Metric Curtain Panel Pattern Based yhis time and see what happens.

Message 6 of 8
ToanDN

If you insist on using a custom curtain panel family then don't change the curtain wall profile, so that it accepts the custom panel. Use an in place mass with a solid form to cut the curtain wall to the shape you want.

Message 7 of 8

I still haven't found out how to cut the claddings guys hehe. I noticed that when I try to use a Metric Curtain Panel Pattern Based and fill up the square with the cladding extrusion, it gets ridiculously heavy and slow, impossible to manage.

Message 8 of 8
hung3XGFH
in reply to: RDAOU

@ToanDN solution works with curved curtain walls.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report