Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow custom family to be embed in wall

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
badincite
587 Views, 2 Replies

Allow custom family to be embed in wall

How can I get my custom family to embed into a wall?

Another question since I am better at modeling inside 3ds max is there a good way to bring 3dsmax models over and create famlies with them?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jrfrost
in reply to: badincite

When choosing the template for your family, it needs to be either wall based or face based.

Not really, you can export to DWG and then import it into Revit, but you basically lose all parametric functionality. I would export to DWG and then remodel over the top of it in Revit.

Message 3 of 3
L.Maas
in reply to: badincite

jrfrost is correct. Use a wall or face based family template. If you need to create a niche than you can make use of voids.

Note that face based families tend to be more flexible than wall based ones.

Better to get familiar with Revit family creation. As the models are usually much simpler that the ones created in 3DSMAx learning will be relatively easy. Familiar modelling tools are used in Revit (extrusions, sweeps, revolves). The purposeof Revit models are normally different then with 3DSMax you do not have to create extreme details. A simple representation is usually enough

Look on THIS autodesk website for good information on Revit family creation (PDF).

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report