Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a plus/minus symbol??

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
liz.nahm1
808 Views, 13 Replies

Adding a plus/minus symbol??

I can't figure out how to add a plus/minus symbol to a less accurate dimension.  I have created a new dim style specifically for less precise dims, then Dble clicked on the dim text to add a prefix.  According to my course tutorial Alt 0177 should work, but it is just typing 0177 instead of +/- symbol.  I tried holding down the alt key when typing the numbers, hitting it once before typing ea/number & hitting it one time followed by all the numbers.  What am I missing? Any ideas appreciated. See image.

liznahm1_0-1702761643802.png

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
liz.nahm1
in reply to: liz.nahm1

Googling has revealed that maybe the issue is the type of keyboard I have?  Looks like some ppl have had issues with using the numbers at the top of their keyboard & only had luck when using the numerical pad on the side.  I do not have a numerical pad on the side of the laptop I use for Revit.  Maybe there is a work around?

Message 3 of 14
barthbradley

Copy one from the Windows Character Map.  ±

Message 4 of 14
liz.nahm1
in reply to: barthbradley

If I wanted to add it as a prefix, I wonder if I can do it another way? 

Message 5 of 14
Mike.FORM

You need to use the number pad on your keyboard with num lock turned on. The top row numbers do not work.

Hold down ALT the entire time and then type the numbers. Once you let go of ALT the symbol will appear.

Message 6 of 14
liz.nahm1
in reply to: Mike.FORM

No number pad:\ See my second message.

Message 7 of 14
Mike.FORM

Ahh didn't see the second msg. But yes the alt codes only work with the num pad.

The work around is as @barthbradley said using the windows character map and copying or, you can temp place a text note, right click, expand symbols, select the ± from the bottom, then ctrl+c and then ctrl+v in the prefix box of the dimension.

Message 8 of 14
syman2000

Create a text and then rightclick and click on symbols>Plus-Minus Sign

syman2000_0-1703003036924.png

Afterward copy the symbols and paste it to the prefix

syman2000_1-1703003094830.png

If you want to make it part of the dimension, add it to dimension prefix

syman2000_2-1703003188859.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 9 of 14
liz.nahm1
in reply to: syman2000

OK.  Wow thanks!  I will mess around with all that I see what we get:)

Message 10 of 14
liz.nahm1
in reply to: syman2000

I wasn't familiar with how to do what you were suggesting, but did find step by step instructions w/minimal googling for once:) https://learningrevitonline.com/tag/add-plus-minus-symbol-in-revit-text/ 

Thank you for your help!  Worked like a charm. 

Message 11 of 14
Alfredo_Medina

So much "Googling" for things that you can find quickly in Revit's help documentation. If you go to the Help button and then search for "special symbols" you will find the information.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 12 of 14

Actually, copying and pasting a symbol from a text annotation to the dimension prefix/suffix is not a bad approach. Maybe a little quicker than opening character map, searching for the ± symbol and copy/pasting from there.  @syman2000's approach might save a few seconds.  Over a lifetime, doing it that way might give you an additional minute or two to spend with your loved ones.  😉   

...just being silly, @Alfredo_Medina. Point taken.   

Message 13 of 14
liz.nahm1
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

@Alfredo_Medina With respect, per usual, your comment comes across as patronizing unlike all the other comments in this thread that were posted with the sole purpose of being helpful. Of course I attempted to solve my problem w/help via Revit, that yielded nothing specific to my issue that I was able to locate. If you'd like to be helpful you could post the link to the Revit help information pertinent to this thread that you were able to find. 

Thank you to everyone who added comments to be helpful to others who are learning Revit. Your time & thoughts are greatly appreciated by those of us who have not yet mastered this software. 

Message 14 of 14
Alfredo_Medina

I think you are misinterpreting my message. I am trying to be useful, saying that you can use Revit's Help documents instead of spending time "Googling", which can give you some confusing results. For example, you thought that there might be something wrong with your keyboard. All I'm saying is that if you go directly to Revit's help documentation, as shown below, and search for "special symbols", you will find quickly the information that you need. In this case, it includes a video. Use that to find and copy the symbol, and then paste it into your dimensions.

2024-01-03_16-56-25.png

Here is the direct link to the video:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-2E5F43CE-5A21-4A60-B69C-0E3447C322D2

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report