Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4"x12" Herringbone Hatch Pattern

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
dmoconnor
7028 Views, 4 Replies

4"x12" Herringbone Hatch Pattern

I am trying to make a 4"x12" Herringbone Hatch Pattern that looks like the following picture, but I can't figure out how to make it. Does anyone know how to make this?

4x12 Herringbone Hatch Pattern.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: dmoconnor

A simple modification of one I already had for 4x8:

*H412,Herringbone 4x12
0,0,0,4,4,16,-8
90,4,0,-4,4,16,-8

Use it at a rotation  of 45 degrees [or 135, or...] to get the angle in your image.  It's defined with orthogonal elements, because if defined  at the angle, many of those numbers would need to be rounded-off decimals, and the pattern would start to "drift" as it gets far from the origin.  This way, it remains precise no matter how far you get from the origin.

The image, by the way, isn't  precisely 4x12 [or any 1:3 ratio] -- extensions from one brick across a few others perpendicular to it don't quite align with the next brick in the same direction.  To match that would require many more lines of definition, and having a specific amount of shift.  The above is  precisely 4x12.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 5
dmoconnor
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thank you, I loaded this into Revit but I had to bring the scale way down in order to see it. Also, I couldn't rotate it 45 degrees. Do someone know how to make this pattern with the correct scale and already rotated at 45 degrees?

Message 4 of 5
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: dmoconnor

@dmoconnor wrote:

Thank you, I loaded this into Revit but I had to bring the scale way down in order to see it. Also, I couldn't rotate it 45 degrees. Do someone know how to make this pattern with the correct scale and already rotated at 45 degrees?

I'm not a Revit user, but I'm told what you need to do is use it in a "model" type of Region, not a "drafting" type of Region, which sounds very similar to the Model-space vs. Paper-space distinction in AutoCAD.  If you're in a "drafting" type Region, a Hatch pattern is tied somehow to the "page," so presumably the 4x12 is an on-paper size, which would explain its being too large if you're dealing with drawings at reduced scale, such as floor plans.  The "model" type Region would use it in model-type size, and  it can be at a rotation angle, unlike "drafting" type use of Hatch patterns, in which apparently [and inexplicably, in my opinion] rotation is not possible.  For more direction than I can give, go to the Revit-specific Forums.

Here's the pattern for a "native" rotation of 45 degrees [fewer numbers needed to be rounded-off decimals than I thought], but first see whether the above works for you, because it's far better for the accuracy of the pattern definition.

45,0,0,4,4,16,-8
135,2.828427,2.828427,-4,4,16,-8

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 5
dmoconnor
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thank you! That worked. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report