Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2018, DWF, Shaded Views, and Windows Explorer - Bug

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
matthew_taylor
786 Views, 11 Replies

Revit 2018, DWF, Shaded Views, and Windows Explorer - Bug

Hi,

I have found a bug with Revit 2018. It has likely been introduced due to the multi-threading DWF(x) improvements.

It was sufficiently hard to track down that it's worth reporting here. (Thought the combination of events to reproduce it is quite obscure.)

The combination of these items cause the bug/crash:

1. A for each loop of single DWF export views, some of which have shaded views on them. (This will make the 'TaskDialog_Printing_Setting_Changed_For_Shaded_Views' dialog appear.)
  2. A DialogBoxShowing event handler to handle dialog from (1) above.
  3. A Process.Start(exportFolder) call.

To reproduce the issue using the minimum reproducible case (in the attached zip):

1. Place .dll and .addin files in 2018 addin folder.
  2. Start Revit 2018.
  3. Open test-2018 model.
  4. Commence the 'Command ADN08' command.
  5. Explorer will open, views will start to be exported, then a medium-hard crash occurs.

Hopefully Autodesk will fix it, but a workaround will do for now - open Explorer at the end of the export operations.

Cheers,

-Matt

Dear Matt,

Thank you for your research and report.

I am trying to avoid answering cases, but you herewith undermined that effectively  🙂

Sorry to hear about this.

What do you mean by "medium-hard crash"?

Can you be more specific about the exact crash details, exception, error message, whatever occurs?

Thank you!

I logged the issue REVIT-112605 [RVT 2018 crash involving DWF, shaded views and Windows explorer -- 12919761] with our development team for this on your behalf as it requires further exploration and possibly a modification to our software. Please make a note of this number for future reference.

You are welcome to request an update on the status of this issue or to provide additional information on it at any time quoting this change request number.

This issue is important to me. What can I do to help?

This issue needs to be assessed by our engineering team, and prioritised against all other outstanding change requests. Any information that you can provide to influence this assessment will help. Please provide the following where possible:

• Impact on your application and/or your development.
  • The number of users affected.
  • The potential revenue impact to you.
  • The potential revenue impact to Autodesk.
  • Realistic timescale over which a fix would help you.
  • In the case of a request for a new feature or a feature enhancement, please also provide detailed Use cases for the workflows that this change would address.

This information is extremely important. Our engineering team have limited resources, and so must focus their efforts on the highest impact items. We do understand that this will cause you delays and affect your development planning, and we appreciate your cooperation and patience.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 12

Hi @jeremytammik,

Sorry to drag you back!

Thanks for your help.

I've attached the error dialog that appears (ADN08_Error.png). (If I've made changes, I get the option to save a recovery file.) Once OK is pressed, Revit closes, and the Error Report dialog comes up (ADN08_ErrorReport.png). (Note that I tagged the report as shown in the image, so that it may be followed up. The ref is CER_147390972. I surrounded the entire operation in a try-catch statement, to no avail.

Sadly, I'll probably undermine your efforts to avoid cases once more...I'm trying to isolate another issue at the moment. This time with DWG export. Equally hard to isolate. 😞

Cheers,

-Matt

Dear Matt,

Thank you for your appreciation, update and additional info, and I am always happy to help.

I added your new images and report details to REVIT-112605 [RVT 2018 crash involving DWF, shaded views and Windows explorer -- 12919761].

Very sorry to hear about the other issue. Good luck resolving that.

I see a hotfix is already available:

Were you aware of that?

Have you already applied it?

Maybe it will save you the effort?

Good luck!

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 5 of 12

I just heard from another developer that Scott and the development team are aware of a related issue and dealing with it.

The internal case number is REVIT-112561, and it is being discussed in the beta forum:

https://beta.autodesk.com/r/?be643715b7c342bdad46cddc33b2dde6

Do you think your problem is the same?

Thank you!

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 6 of 12

Hi @jeremytammik,

Thank you for the additional information.

I'm not convinced it's the same issue, though it is certainly related.

I'm aware of the hotfix, but I haven't applied it. The release notes do not give me hope that the issue will be resolved by applying it. I'll try.

I'm still trying to isolate the DWG issue, though it's a bit like hitting a moving target at the moment. I have found one issue, but am trying to find the second one before reporting it. In addition, I did notice that one of the Site Designer events was causing an issue. The Site Designer issue was just masking another issue though. I'll report that one separately, though it may be a private report as I can only replicate it using our company template. I'll see how my bug hunt goes.

Happy Friday!

<edit> I'm still not receiving all notifications. Can you pass that on to whoever takes care of that, please? Thanks. </edit>

Cheers,

-Matt

I can confirm that 2018.0.1 did *not* fix this bug. (Or the other, for that matter.)

Cheers,

-Matt

Dear Matt,

I guess that was to be expected.

As said, Scott and the devteam are actively exploring your issue in REVIT-112605 [RVT 2018 crash involving DWF, shaded views and Windows explorer -- 12919761].

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 9 of 12
jeremytammik
in reply to: jeremytammik

Message 10 of 12

Hi @jeremytammik,

Sadly, this does not fix the issue.

I have submitted another CER to help solve it further: CER_148820144

I reproduced the issue using the same info as my initial post.

Smiley Frustrated

Can you update the support case, please?

Cheers,

-Matt

Dear Matt,

Looking at the issue REVIT-112605 [RVT 2018 crash involving DWF, shaded views and Windows explorer -- 12919761], I see that the fix has been submitted for Revit 2018.1, which should become available soon. I guess the hotfix is not enough to resolve it. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 12 of 12

Hi Jeremy,

Ah. Okay, no problem. I'm not altogether surprised that 2018.1 is required.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers,

-Matt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community