Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Sweeper, ReVVed, and other apps now open source

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
kfpemail-2
1604 Views, 20 Replies

Project Sweeper, ReVVed, and other apps now open source

A while ago I decided to shut down pkh Lineworks and I discontinued work on my apps Project Sweeper, MLTE, ReVVed, Paraline and Knock Knock. I have now decided to make them open source so anyone can download the code and continue to update them for future versions of Revit.

The repositories can be found at this link: https://github.com/kfpopeye

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: kfpemail-2

Thank you very. much! That sounds useful and exciting.

I took a look at project sweeper and see no documentation whatsoever, just the source code. I looked at that a bit and see a lot of stuff. None of the other repositories are documented either. It would probably make them a little more accessible if you could add a brief readme to each and explain what each one does.

Thank you!

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 3 of 21
kfpemail-2
in reply to: jeremy_tammik

Good point. I just added a zip file containing the help documentation in html format. I also added a readme file with a bit more information. I did this for all my Revit apps.
Message 4 of 21
jeremy_tammik

Great! Thank you!

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 5 of 21

Jeremy:

I was wondering if you were able to fix Project Sweeper for Revit 2022 or 2023. Ths is an amazing tool with the kind of functionality that should be included in Revit.

Message 6 of 21

I have never done more than take a quick look at the repo and ask for more documentation as described above.

Please contact the original authors for everything further.

Good luck and best regards,

Jeremy

Message 7 of 21
purvigirwin

I learned a way to add additional versions to the addin. Here are the steps.

1. Close all versions of Revit that you have open.
  2. Install the last version if you haven't already.
  3. Go to the installation location - C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\pkhLineworksPROJECT SWEEPER.bundle
  4. Edit the PackageContents.xml file to add the additional versionsProjectSweeper package contents file.jpg

5. Copy/paste the information and change the version, per the image above. You can do this by opening the file in Notepad.

6. Save and close.

7. Open the "Contents" folder and copy the 2021 folder.

ProjectSweeper package contents file_contents.jpg

8. Rename it "2022"

9. Repeat and rename for other versions (2023, 2024, etc.)

10. Now open Revit. You should get the dialog asking if you want to load the addin or not. 

Hope this helps other to get more use out of this awesome addin!

Purvi Gandhi Irwin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C (she/her)
Message 8 of 21
arl0$
in reply to: purvigirwin

Purvi:

I was very excited to finally unlock Project Sweeper for versions after Revit 2021. Unfortunately, Revit couldn't load the application when I followed your steps and, I got the attached error.

Do you mind taking a look at the attachment and letting me know if you have any idea of what might have gone wrong?

I appreciate so much your help. 

CarlosN

Message 9 of 21
purvigirwin
in reply to: arl0$

Hi CarlosN,

I'm not sure how to resolve that. I wonder if it's conflicting with other addins that you have installed? In 2023 I have the CADD Toolbox, CADD FilterPLUS, Formit Converter, Guardian, Revit Lookup, diRootsOne, and pyRevit. 

Make sure you only changed the date in these locations for each version after 2021. 

ProjectSweeper package contents file2.jpg

Message 10 of 21
carlosnaranjo

Purvi:

I had previously changed the dates as indicated in your post. So, that shouldn't be the issue.

On the other hand, I have the following add-ins installed in the two PCs I've tried "Project sweeper" add-in and, one of them might be conflicting with Project Sweeper. I guess there is not an easy way to tell.

Coins parameter Report

ArchSmarter

DiRoots One

Twinmotion

Bath Upgrade Files & Links

Transfer Legend by TwentyTwo

I wonder if someone else reading this post has tried your trick and made it work on Revit versions higher than 2021.

Message 11 of 21
carlosnaranjo

Purvi:

I'm happy to announce that I have the app finally working in revit 2024. 

Message 12 of 21

Wow, cool. Thank you for sharing that. Taking a look at the original kfpopeye GitHub repositories, it might be a worthwhile project to fork them all and update to more recent versions of the Revit API.  Legally, unfortunately, the lack of an explicit license makes that a slightly risky undertaking, since the original author can come along and impose a license after the fact.

Message 13 of 21

Yes maybe the legalities of it are what is keeping developers from using source code. This addin is awesome the only thing missing is a dimensions cleaner

Message 14 of 21
kfpemail-2
in reply to: carlosnaranjo

Hello,

I noticed this thread getting some activities again so I looked into it. I have no problems with people using my code or even profiting off the code by using it in an app they sell themselves. Just don't call it the app Project Sweeper so people might think I am involved. I am no longer coding apps for Revit.

Message 15 of 21
jeremy_tammik

Thank you for jumping in and your kind permission to reuse the code. It would help a lot if you added an official license to your GitHub repositories. I always use the MIT license. That gives people permission to reuse your code. Without an explicit permission up front, it is very risky to reuse other people's code:

The MIT license is pre-populated as an option when you create a GitHub repo, and I always use that option, adding one single line or two to my README file:

## License

This sample is licensed under the terms of the [MIT License](http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT).
Please see the [LICENSE](LICENSE) file for full details.

Message 16 of 21
jeremy_tammik

Thank you for jumping in and your kind permission to reuse the code. It would help a lot if you added an official license to your GitHub repositories. I always use the MIT license. That gives people permission to reuse your code. Without an explicit permission up front, it is very risky to reuse other people's code:

The MIT license is pre-populated as an option when you create a GitHub repo, and I always use that option, adding one single line or two to my README file:

## License

This sample is licensed under the terms of the [MIT License](http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT).
Please see the [LICENSE](LICENSE) file for full details.

Message 17 of 21
kfpemail-2
in reply to: jeremy_tammik

I added the MIT license to the Project Sweeper and the Common library it uses.
Message 18 of 21
jeremy_tammik

Mille grazie! Hope someone feels like picking it up. @carlosnaranjo , in that case, your freelancer can officially fork the existing repo, add the updates and share the results in a new public repo for all the enjoy... or anyone else feeling so inclined...

Message 19 of 21

Thanks kfpemail-2 for your contribution to the Revit community and Thank you Jeremy for your guidance. I can continue conversations with my coder now,
Message 20 of 21
purvigirwin
in reply to: carlosnaranjo

If you don't mind, could you share your solution with me? It won't work for 2024 for me. I haven't needed it yet, but I know that I will in the future.

Thanks!

Purvi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community