Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pass Value from Ribbon PushButton to Function?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mfleming.stantec
1744 Views, 6 Replies

Pass Value from Ribbon PushButton to Function?

Hello,

I have 3 Push Buttons and Each Button will Place a Different Revit Family.

I'm still green in the API but I'm looking to build a simple Ribbon with PushButtons that place a specific family.

I have implemented my PushButtons and I can activate a command no problem.  I have also built my function that takes in an XML document with a list of families and places the Detail Item using Revit's built In "PostRequestForElementTypePlacement(); which works fine on their own.

My issue, is If I have 3 buttons and want to set a Specific family to each one of those PushButtons, I don't know how to pass that variable to my function.

public Autodesk.Revit.UI.Result OnStartup(UIControlledApplication app)
        {
            // Add a new ribbon panel
            RibbonPanel ribbonPanel = app.CreateRibbonPanel("NewRibbonPanel");

// Setup some Default Folder Paths & Variables
            string thisAssemblyPath = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location;
            string folderPath = @"D:\Draw\Visual_Studio_Projects\RevitDetailingRibbon\RevitDetailingAddin\RevitDetailingAddin\bin\Debug";
            string imagePath = @"D:\Draw\Visual_Studio_Projects\RevitDetailingRibbon\RevitDetailingAddin\RevitDetailingAddin\bin\Debug\ImageFiles"; 
            string tab2dRebar = "Stn-2D Rebar";
            string tab2dSteel = "Stn-2D Steel";
            string tab2dConn = "Stn-2D Connections";
            string tabSymbols = "Stn-Symbols";
            string panelRebarSect = "Sect";
            string panelRebarPlan = "Plan";
            string panelRebarShapes = "2D Rebar Shapes";
            string panelSteelSect = "Sect";

// Add a new ribbon panel
            app.CreateRibbonTab(tab2dRebar);
            RibbonPanel panelA = app.CreateRibbonPanel(tab2dRebar, panelRebarSect);
            RibbonPanel panelB = app.CreateRibbonPanel(tab2dRebar, panelRebarPlan);
            RibbonPanel panelC = app.CreateRibbonPanel(tab2dRebar, panelRebarShapes);

// Standard buttons
            // Create a push button to trigger a command add it to the ribbon panel.
            PushButton btnHelloWorld = (PushButton)panelA.AddItem(new PushButtonData("cmdHelloWorld", "Hello World", thisAssemblyPath, "RevitDetailingAddin.HelloWorld"));
            btnHelloWorld.LargeImage = new BitmapImage(new Uri(Path.Combine(imagePath, "globe_32x32.png"), UriKind.Absolute));
            btnHelloWorld.Image = new BitmapImage(new Uri(Path.Combine(imagePath, "globe_16x16.png"), UriKind.Absolute));
            btnHelloWorld.ToolTipImage = new BitmapImage(new Uri(Path.Combine(imagePath, "globe_32x32.png"), UriKind.Absolute));
            btnHelloWorld.ToolTip = "New Hellow World Button";
            btnHelloWorld.LongDescription = "Enter the View Start Number, select views in sheet and press ESC to complete the command.";

// Create a push button to trigger a command add it to the ribbon panel.
            PushButton btnHelloNewWorld = (PushButton)panelB.AddItem(new PushButtonData("cmdHelloNewWorld", "Hello New World", thisAssemblyPath, "RevitDetailingAddin.HelloNewWorld"));
            btnHelloNewWorld.LargeImage = new BitmapImage(new Uri(Path.Combine(imagePath, "globe_32x32.png"), UriKind.Absolute));
            btnHelloNewWorld.Image = new BitmapImage(new Uri(Path.Combine(imagePath, "globe_16x16.png"), UriKind.Absolute));
            btnHelloNewWorld.ToolTipImage = new BitmapImage(new Uri(Path.Combine(imagePath, "globe_32x32.png"), UriKind.Absolute));
            btnHelloNewWorld.ToolTip = "Hellow New World Button";
            btnHelloNewWorld.LongDescription = "Enter the View Start Number, select views in sheet and press ESC to complete the command.";

return Result.Succeeded;

}

and the code in another class to place the family for reference:

public Autodesk.Revit.UI.Result Execute(ExternalCommandData commandData,
            ref string message, ElementSet elementsnew)
        {
            // Places a Specified Detail Item (Line or Point Based) onto a View using Revits Default UI
            Document doc = commandData.Application.ActiveUIDocument.Document;
            UIApplication uiapp = commandData.Application;
            UIDocument uidoc = uiapp.ActiveUIDocument;

string familyName = "DC-Steel-W_Wide_Flange-Section-U-Stn";
            //string familyName = "DC-Steel-W_Wide_Flange-Side-U-Stn";
            string familyTypeName = "W310X39";
            FamilySymbol returnValue;

// Create a Function call to get the Family Name and Family Type from the XML
            // ==========================================================================

try
            {
                // Calls familySymbolLoadedCheck to ensure Family and Type are in Project
                returnValue = familySymbolLoadedCheck(familyName, familyTypeName, doc, uidoc);
                // Uses Revits Default UI to place Detail Item
                uidoc.PostRequestForElementTypePlacement(returnValue);
            }
            catch
            {
                TaskDialog.Show("Revit", "Revit Family:" + Environment.NewLine
                                + familyName + Environment.NewLine
                                + "Revit Type:" + Environment.NewLine
                                + familyTypeName + Environment.NewLine
                                + "Not Found. ReLoad into Project");

// Future add code to load Load Family and Type into Project
                // =========================================================

return Autodesk.Revit.UI.Result.Failed;
            }
            return Autodesk.Revit.UI.Result.Succeeded;
        }

I have looked at a bunch of Jeremy's post like this one:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2011/02/pimp-my-autocad-or-revit-ribbon.html

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/passing-arguments-in-revit-ribbon-elements/td-p/65934...

But it's talking about Combo/Text box and don't have enough experience to alter it for a simple PushButton.  I need examples that are really dumb down.

Any help on this would be great, I have already spent 2 weekends trying to get it going.

Matt

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Dear Matt,

Thank you for your query and sorry that you spent two weekends struggling with it.

So, all you need now is to load the family symbol and place it in the project?

Loading an entire family is achieved by calling the LoadFamily method:

http://www.revitapidocs.com/2017/67277d5a-0ddf-b617-c9c9-911ecb928af9.htm

You can also load one single symbol from it using LoadFamilySymbol:

http://www.revitapidocs.com/2017/7c99a858-3e0e-e63b-3754-996f98d1bc2f.htm

In my use cases, I always check first whether the family (entire, or specific symbol, depending on use case) has already been loaded into the project; in that case, I can obviously skip this step.

In a second step, you place an instance. In general, this is achieved using the NewFamilyInstance method:

http://www.revitapidocs.com/2017/451ee414-cea0-e9bd-227b-c73bc93507dd.htm

The challenge here is to choose the right overload to use, depending on your family and other circumstances.

Both topics and their combination are discussed extensively with numerous examples in The Building Coder topic group on Family Instance Placement, which I just now enhanced and expanded, especially for you:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/about-the-author.html#5.25.2

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 7
FAIR59
in reply to: mfleming.stantec

Dear Matt,

from your description i get the impression, that the user has no influence on the family selection.

He pushes button A and you let him place family A.

he pushes button B and you let him place family B,

he pushes button C and you let him place family C.

So the user can never select family D

Is this correct?

If so, then for every Pushbutton you call a different method.

PushButton btnHelloWorld = (PushButton)panelA.AddItem(new PushButtonData("cmdPlaceA", "family_A", thisAssemblyPath, "RevitDetailingAddin.PlaceFamilyA"));
PushButton btnHelloWorld = (PushButton)panelB.AddItem(new PushButtonData("cmdPlaceB", "family_B", thisAssemblyPath, "RevitDetailingAddin.PlaceFamilyB"));           

Message 4 of 7

Jeremy that is not what I'm after as I can place the family and have other code that will load the fams.

FAIR59 you are exactly right.
Each button is a different family.
What I was looking for is if I have a single function that actually places the family can is it possible to pass that family name for example to the function?

So something like RevitDetailingAddin.PlaceFamilyFunction(FamilyA)
RevitDetailingAddin.PlaceFamilyFunction(FamilyB)

Etc.

This way I don't have to keep rewriting the code to place the family for each one.

Matt
Message 5 of 7
FAIR59
in reply to: mfleming.stantec

You can use something like this: 

public class PlaceFamilyA : IExternalCommand
    {
        public Autodesk.Revit.UI.Result Execute(ExternalCommandData revit,
         ref string message, ElementSet elements)
        {

PlaceFamilyFunction(FamilyA)
        }

}

public class PlaceFamilyB : IExternalCommand
    {
        public Autodesk.Revit.UI.Result Execute(ExternalCommandData revit,
         ref string message, ElementSet elements)
        {

PlaceFamilyFunction(FamilyB)
        }

}

Message 6 of 7

Take a look at this post, I believe it might be what you are looking for: http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2011/02/pimp-my-autocad-or-revit-ribbon.html

Message 7 of 7

Yea this is what I was looking for. Minimal extra duplicate code and will allow me to pass static variables to my functions.

I'll try this out tonight.

Matt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community