Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export aniamtion compressed - ffmpeg

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
bri47744
191 Views, 4 Replies

Export aniamtion compressed - ffmpeg

Hi!

I've ffmpeg installed in my pc... is there a way to export animation compressed with it (or with any other compression algorithm)?

'cause now I have to export a Gigafile that does't make any sense

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jeremy_tammik
in reply to: bri47744

Neither does your question make much sense here. Please note that this discussion forum is dedicated to programming Revit using the Revit API. Does your question have anything whatsoever to do with Revit and its API?

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 3 of 5
bri47744
in reply to: jeremy_tammik

There are 4 section:
- Architecture: I have my project and work well, I know how to place walls
- MEP: pipe and electric cable are my secon name
- structure: this is very obscure for me but definitely nothing in common to animation and rendering
- API: last resurce, and strange, it has something to do with my problem (not too much, but more than the others section). Probably there's a way to connect ffmpeg to revit, probably with something do by someone else yet, now the only thing is to try to ask. Yes, for me is a problem that can be resolved with something like an API that connect ffmep to revit
Please let me know where I should post this question, instead just tell me that I'm wrong
Thanks

Message 4 of 5
jeremy_tammik

I definitely do not say that you are wrong. I would never do that to anyone.

However, I have never heard of any connection whatsoever between ffmpeg and Revit.

Revit is a BIM software, use to create architectural and other building models:

ffmpeg is open source software for compressing audio and video formats:

I am not aware of any connection between the two. If you can explain, I would be interested to hear and understand.

Jeremy Tammik, Developer Advocacy and Support, The Building Coder, Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
Message 5 of 5
jeremy_tammik

Aaaah, I finally understand your topic. I was misled by the typo in aniamtion to simply ignore that aspect. Please spell check before posting, especially the title. Otherwise, it becomes much harder to find your question and answer later on.

I now discovered the article on Revit - compressing walkthrough videos and assume that is what you are after:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Revit-comp...

Please note the remarks there:

Once you have exported your walkthrough from Revit, the resulting uncompressed video file will most probably pretty big for its quality - you will need a 3rd-party codec to compress it for further optimizing the balance of quality and filesize. There are multiple products available on the market. Explore available solutions by gathering information from those 3rd-party vendors or simply from the internet.

FFmpeg is certainly a good choice for that.

Basically, ffmpeg is an external program. You could run it externally on the command line. Are you trying to go one step further and integrate a call to launch ffmpeg into your Revit add-in? If so, you might find the ffmpeg library and a .NET wrapper for it useful:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Rail Community