Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design script

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
bburling
1555 Views, 7 Replies

Design script

Is it possible to use the design script geometry libary inside of Revit?

I had a crack and added ProtoGeometry.dll and ProtoInterface.dll  as references to my project

Then in an exernal command I put this code:

code

When I run the external command I get this error:

error.JPG

Ultimately what I would do is is create some designscript to revit translators to convert objects then tap into designscript functions such as trim, split and offset.

Any ideas?

Brett

Regards,
Brett
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jeremytammik
in reply to: bburling

Dear Brett,

I am trying to find someone in the development team who can help answer this. Thank you for your patience!

Cheers, 

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 8
sonicer
in reply to: bburling

did you find some solution?

its interesting for me.

Message 4 of 8
salvatoredragotta
in reply to: sonicer

There's a post in the dynamo forum regarding creating a macro. Have a look and see if it helps. https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/references-protogeometry-dll-in-revit-macro/17227
Message 5 of 8
sonicer
in reply to: salvatoredragotta

that look like very good....but its too slow. need to have stil run dynamo.

I am waiting for when autodesk implement design script to the revit api .

Message 6 of 8
ChengboZhang
in reply to: jeremytammik

Excuse me, is there any new development on this issue? Thank you

Message 7 of 8
jeremytammik
in reply to: ChengboZhang

I am not aware of any support for Design Script in the pure Revit environment, without Dynamo.

I am asking the development team for you to make sure.

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 8 of 8
jeremytammik
in reply to: ChengboZhang

I received feedback from the development team and shared it on the blog:

https://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2020/10/forge-design-automation-and-designscript.html#2

Question: Is it correct to assume that you can access Design Script in the Revit API environment by using Dynamo? Is it also correct to assume that we have no plans to make Design Script accessible in the Revit API environment without Dynamo?

Answer: To clarify some terms, the Dynamo geometry library and DesignScript are distinct things. DesignScript is specific to Dynamo; there is no DesignScript without Dynamo. The geometry library, however, is a set of normal C#/C++ wrappers around Autodesk geometry kernels. It doesn't have to be consumed via DesignScript, and in fact many popular Dynamo packages are written in C# and call the geometry library functions directly from their C# implementations, as users are attempting to do here.

It sounds like what the users in that thread are asking for is to use the Dynamo geometry library from Revit API add-ins. The obstacle that they are running into is (just guessing) that these libraries depend on ASM DLLs which are shipped only with the host apps, not with Dynamo, and part of the job of the host-Dynamo link is to establish which specific version of ASM should be consumed by Dynamo geometry library.

If all they're doing is referencing the assemblies, this connection is probably not correctly established, since normally the Dynamo-Revit addin is involved in setting everything up.

If we wanted to support and document this use case, we probably could. There may be business and licensing questions we'd have to explore around expanding the sets of scenarios that users can access ASM from – Revit would still be required in this scenario, so it's likely fine, but we'd need to make sure there aren't any loopholes.

So far on the technical background.

We currently do not actively support this behaviour; as discussed it’s possible, but only if you spin up Dynamo too.

We get requests for access to Dynamo on the Cloud or access to a Geometry kernel via licensing to be used externally all the time; this is the first real request to use DesignScript inside of an entirely separate add-in inside of Revit.

Licensing might be akin to the way we provide ASM to Dynamo customers today – via their subscription to other ADSK software, in this case, Revit.

As with everything, if the need is there, and high enough, we can investigate, but it would need to be stacked up against all other development effort (i.e., Cost/Benefit analysis). Our current efforts are focused around Lowering the Barrier to Entry inside of Dynamo and an Ecosystem play where you can get Dynamo in more places and/or access it more easily. Adding DesignScript support to Revit sans Dynamo is not currently in our sights.

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community