Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto route a pipe system between plumbing fixtures?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tknappEUVP8
1430 Views, 5 Replies

Auto route a pipe system between plumbing fixtures?

I'm wondering if there is something within the API that will allow me to place plumbing fixture families and then generate a plumbing layout like you can in Revit by using the "Create Plumbing System --> Generate Layout" or is this something I have to do one pipe, one connector at a time? 

Selected Elements and Click Create SystemSelected Elements and Click Create System

Generate Layout ButtonGenerate Layout Button

Auto Generated PipesAuto Generated Pipes

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jeremytammik
in reply to: tknappEUVP8

You can create a placeholder piping system programmatically as well:

https://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2011/07/mep-placeholders.html

Or you can create a piping system right away. Here is a series of samples that create a minimal bunch of pipes for a rolling offset in lots of different ways:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2014/01/final-rolling-offset-using-pipecreate.html

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 6
tknappEUVP8
in reply to: jeremytammik

Thanks for the reply Jeremey,

I am assuming from your response that if I want to connect from say, a water closet to a water heater, with pipes, I will have to explicitly call PipeCreate for each pipe, find connectors, insert each fitting... and then that process over and over until they connect? Is there a better work flow for what I'm trying to accomplish? Something similar to what is in the Revit user interface?

Message 4 of 6
jeremytammik

Please read the discussions I pointed out. They explain everything and cover your question in full. Why do you think I publish them?

Actually, here are some additional relevant discussions of this topic:

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 5 of 6
tknappEUVP8
in reply to: jeremytammik

Apologies, I seem to have frustrated you. I did look through the previous sent links, however I didn't find a direct answer to my question, therefor I tried to clarify. I'm still not completely clear on your answer, so I will try to solve it myself. Thanks anyway.

Message 6 of 6
jeremytammik

Well, I am not an expert on this, but I think the answer is:

• You can go any way you like.
  • You can just insert the pipes, no fittings. Then, if you connect the pipe connectors, Revit will automatically select and place and connect the appropriate fittings according to your routing preferences and adjust the pipe endpoints so they fit.
  • You can just insert all the fittings, no pipes. Then, if you connect the fitting connectors, Revit will automatically place and connect the appropriate pipes between them.

That is the gist of what I learned researching for and implementing the rolling offset.

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community