Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d Aimer, just because

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
aksaks
638 Views, 5 Replies

3d Aimer, just because

If a picture is worth a thousand words then maybe a video is at least that, well maybe not. Words for this might be,"What for?". The answer is, "Just because." Sorry for the file size. The guts to how this is done have been previously posted. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jeremytammik
in reply to: aksaks

Dear Aksaks,

Thank you for sharing this exciting video.

It is indeed very cool.

I would love to add a couple of words to it as well, and summarise the implementation details, just to make this cool stuff more discoverable by search engines and the like.

Can point out where the implementation details that you mention can be found?

Is the entire solution or some part of it available somewhere?

Or is this simply a proof of concept that you share to give other people ideas on what is possible and that they can create for themselves on their own?

In any case, I love the neat little add-in and the cool demo video.

Congratulations on putting it together and thank you for sharing!

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 3 of 6
aksaks
in reply to: jeremytammik

Thank you for the compliment. The overall intent is to share ideas and show what has been used using information learned your TheBuildingCoder site. The 3d Aimer is a proof of concept. It has roots in something similar made in AutoCAD VBA 11 years ago that was part of a technical lighting design, but in Revit it is a curiosity. Perhaps someone might see that it performs a needed task.

The other other things going on in the video are just as much part of the show for sharing. Like what those rounded status windows are and how they come into being and change during the workflow or how a selection swipe across everything only selected the items that would be rotated. The whole megillah, from ribbon start to end, is best for seeing so that one starting from scratch can see the implementation, for good or for bad example.

The entire solution plus the Revit file with that family inside needs to be packaged up to make it available for sharing. The original full sized video exists. It is easier to see but was too large to post. It was not apparent how content like that could be posted elsewhere at Autodesk for linking into a forum post. I will need some direction.

Regards,
Allan Seidel
Message 4 of 6
jeremytammik

Dear Allan,

Thank you very much for the appreciation, history and background info.

I can suggest an easy solution for posting the large original video:

I mostly use YouTube. Vimeo is another alternative.

I believe that neither imposes any size limitation that will affect your demo.

I can gladly help you publish this in any way you like.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 5 of 6
aksaks
in reply to: jeremytammik

The 3d Aimer, which rotates a family in many directions, is part of a larger project. I have created a public repository for that project. Here is the link. 

https://github.com/akseidel/WTA_FireP

There is also a youtube posting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKrtMx0R9k8

Message 6 of 6
jeremytammik

Dear Allan,

Thank you very much for sharing this!

It looks interesting and full of useful ideas.

I published what you provided so far on the blog:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2017/03/wta-firep-and-3d-aimer-tools.html

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community