Community
ReMake Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReMake Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReMake topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhappy with Discontinuation of Autodesk Catch 123D and Remake for Mac

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
davemohla
1769 Views, 1 Reply

Unhappy with Discontinuation of Autodesk Catch 123D and Remake for Mac

I just want to express my dissatisfaction with Autodesk discontinuing both Autodesk Catch 123D and Remake for MAC. I used both of those products in the past and they were awesome. 

It feels like a very customer unfriendly move to discontinue both of them around the same time without offering another alternative for doing scans on a Mac or iPhone. I just want to remind Autodesk that they exist because of their customers and companies that create bad experiences for their customers generally suffer (e.g. United). 

I was forced to install Windows on my Mac in order to use Remake and it took 6 hours and lots of frustration.  

I used to love Autodesk and recommended them to everyone. Now, I'm not a big fan and may start trying other company's products.  

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
cekuhnen
in reply to: davemohla

@davemohla

Hi there - I feel for your frustration but here are few things to consider.

I never was a big fan of 123D Catch the PC web and mobile app where never very stable.

ReMake on the Mac (while windows as well) suffers also from a lot of UI and general bugs.

Truly what was amazing about ReMake Mac was turning Photos into 3D models.

Well you still can - and that with the same quality - but in a much better UI to be honest.

Just go online to : https://recap360.autodesk.com/

Upload your images, define the detail level and output format and hit process.

I nearly died at school because AD removed ReMake under out feet without any warning and my students

where left with nothing to work with and then I found ReCap online which does the same.

This is a 150MB model of an ultra sound probe I did.

Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 9.14.16 PM.png

This time I only did close up images never showing/framing the complete object and the detail level is mind blowing.

This took over an hour to process but the quality is spot on perfect for my industrial design course.

Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 9.19.08 PM.png

I tried many different ways capturing features with 360 walk arounds and then secondary detail shots and such as well.

The web Ui is incredible simplistic and works.

Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 9.19.22 PM.png

What the web UI does not do is trimming and such but I sorry AD never felt that ReMake had good tools nor even good

UI and icons for such a task which I feel is better be left to serious mesh editing apps and keep ReMake ReCap what it is

best at turning photos into 3D meshes!

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report