Community
ReMake Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReMake Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReMake topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For macOS users: ReCap Online Alternative for photogrammy approach

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
cekuhnen
873 Views, 0 Replies

For macOS users: ReCap Online Alternative for photogrammy approach

I am not sure what you use ReMake as an app for, for me as a designer (character and product design) and as an educator (industrial design)

I really only need a method to digitize photos into a 3D model and download that as a textured OBJ model.

The mesh clean up, orientation and such I do in a dedicated 3D modeler.

ReCap online does offer all what I need - upload images, set mesh quality, define 3D model output format.

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 12.27.56 PM.png

In your choice of 3D app I correct the model - remove unwanted parts rotate and align different scans and parts

I use Blender 3D for most of those tasks featuring also mesh decimation. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 12.25.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-15 at 12.32.59 PM.png

Then you can continue working with the data - in my case sending it to Fusion 360 and creating cross section sketches

so that I can start rebuilding the model for the medical device housing we are researching

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 12.24.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-15 at 12.25.00 PM.png

I tested also Trnio which is an iOS app and offers the ability to make a model from photos taken in the app or images send to the app.

Similar to ReMake and ReCap the computation is done online.

Trnio is dramatically faster in processing but lacks the detail one might want. Via SketchFab a model can be shared or downloaded as OBJ.

Trnio models are mainly 15 MB

ReCap models are around 28 MB

ReMake models are around 50 MB

But I did not see a significant detail difference with capturing features between ReCap and ReMake in my models.

The bonus of online ReCap is that you do not have to install a software!

Specifically for the Fusion 360 work environment which is dual OS having a dual OS digitizing ability is a must have

particularly when ReMake is features with Fusion 360.

OnShape has the bad side effect that 99% of all add-ons are WinOS only.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report