Community
ReMake Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReMake Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReMake topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decision to stop supporting Macs

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
tgniady
916 Views, 8 Replies

Decision to stop supporting Macs

I just wanted to say how disappointed I am that you have decided not only to stop supporting a Mac version of ReMake, but made it so we cannot use our legacy downloads. I have been using ReMake for a year and a half now, and I teach with it in a university setting. I was also planning on using it for a summer camp at our public library, but now I can't as they only have Macs. I'll be returning to PhotoScan, even for my introductory lessons. 

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
marcos
in reply to: tgniady

tgniady you can still use your mac but you will have to install Virtual PC. You can look at VMware Fusion to install on your Mac so you can switch from Mac to Windows screen just for that...but I'm not sure how that will help you if everyone in your class has a mac meaning you will have to have this installed on each Mac.
Message 3 of 9
ValerioRizzo
in reply to: marcos

Hi @marcos

in addition to what said by @tgniady you could also use Mac bootcamp, if you do not want to buy Parallel or Fusion licences.

Best,

V.

"Nothing is impossible if you can imagine it" Prof. Cubert J. Farnsworth
Message 4 of 9
brianmathews

We are also sorry to drop support for the Mac.  We invested a great deal of resources into building for and supporting the Mac.  It hurts us to lose that investment.  We are Mac fans and many on the team use Macs.  In development we experienced numerous 3D driver and operating system issues.  We would fix the issues only to have Apple's subsequent OS updates break 3D comparability.  Week after week.  We also found that a large percentage of the Mac user base is running older hardware and lower end (or no) GPU.  The result was more numerous unhappy customers.  It got to the point where we were not using our engineering team to build a great cutting-edge product but to just keep the old version running.  I understand that doesn't help you and we were sad to pause Mac development.  We never released an official Mac version and only had technology preview builds.  Using beta or unreleased software is a bit of a gamble and in most cases companies carry forward to release, but not always as is this case.

Personally I switched to Bootcamp and Win 10 and have been happy (I have a more modern Macbook Pro about 2 years old).  I tried Parallels and VMware and VirtualBox, but in the end Bootcamp worked for me.

-Brian Mathews

Autodesk

Message 5 of 9
tgniady
in reply to: marcos

I understand that. I am teaching at our public library and this is not an
option.
Message 6 of 9
cekuhnen
in reply to: brianmathews

@brianmathews

I understand the problems you might faced during dev on your side but this brings up the question if maybe what you try to do with Remake was a little off yourself.

What is ReMake? Essentially upload photos and then create a 3D model and later we can trim rotate export the model.

That is also what I would say nearly the majority of users would do.

To be honest the mesh adjustment tools in ReMake I never used. It is ok for trimming but for real precise positioning and

rotating an mesh you need more tools thus this task I always and my students always did in an external app.

I see in the way how ReMake is developed a similarity to other AD products. A lot of functions are added without considering if

the core functionality is really that developed and sound.

Yes it can easily be that a lot of mac users use lower specs. But let me tell you that I as a designer noticed that very often AD software

dev people think that everybody in the field works with high end workstations - we don't - I do not even know any industrial designer

that has a workstation GPU.

ReMake operates fine on the surfacePro4 I have which uses integrated graphics.

I am writing this because I think AD simply threw away a wonderful product because you over developed it. No other software program

I work with has the issues you stated AD had with ReMake and macOS. Maybe it is less macOS but more your own code.

Like in the other thread I needed to uninstall ReMake first to be able to apply the installer.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 7 of 9
tgniady
in reply to: brianmathews

Thanks for taking the time to fully explain the decision. I really appreciate it. And I hear you about the GPU issues of Macs--it is an issue, and one I don't understand on Apple's part given how much of the design community is Apple-based. I use ReMake as a teaching instrument for first time photogrammeters and at the university, I can run BootCamp or any of the other solutions. Where I'm scrambling is the public library summer camp, but as you said, a beta software is just that. I will talk to the library about possible VMWare installation. 

Message 8 of 9
cekuhnen

@tgniady

I never really cared much about the Memento or ReMake app as it is pretty buggy and clunky on both macOS and WinOS.

Under windows it offers no HiDPI icons and now it has license issues and the UI is very cranky-laggy.

If you need a replacement as mentioned Trnio for iOS is a very fast and it seems very close result. Via Sketchfab models can be shared

and downloaded as textured OBJs. The mesh quality is not as detailed but it is very fast in processing. I am in industrial design so I need

more detailed results.

However for better mesh results there is also the web interface of ReCap 360.

https://recap360.autodesk.com/

I just gave it is a test run and it works as ReMake - just downloaded the OBJ files I only need.

The mesh editing I anyway do in a more specialized application.

So no need for having to deal with ReMake as an app when the core function of photo to mesh is available via ReMake 360! PERFECT !!!!

This way you can still use AD fantastic code to convert the images into mesh models!

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 9 of 9

hi.

i was trying to keep quiet and not reply to multiple posts that you have answered, but it seems that its time to put a word:

i would ask you to please consider the rules of engagement on a forum. You are using a forum for an app that you are saying you' cant care less for' in which case i really wonder why are you here.

You are promoting 3rd party applications on our forum. We, as Autodesk never do that and we please ask to find other outlets in which you spread the word about other applications. You can use your own blog or the forums of those 3rd party tools to promote them.

We have many very successful customers who use ReMake on windows for years and they will disagree with you. Yes, the decision not go forward with the Mac version was not easy for anyone, but lets not throw it all into one bucket. Many users use ReMake on Mac parallels and are OK with it.  If you are not happy with ReMake, which is obviously the case, thats OK, not all tools are for everyone - as you noted, there are other tools and it seems that they will be better for you.

ReMake is unique tool on the market with a mesh streaming engine build from scratch y to handle multi-billion polygon meshes (which professionals who work with large scenes easily generate) , clean them up prepare them for printing or decimate and prepare for further use and publish online. one can measure, compare different states of models, and do other calculations - all that in one tool, with an amazing ease of use and very affordable business model. It does have the functionaliyt to make 3d from photos but in its core conception, its meant to accept models generated by any tool that makes 3d from laser or photos and use the above mentioned tools to prepare them for further online use or fabrications. No one has these set of functionalities and not one app can open the size of models that reMake can. 

ReMake on Windows t has been appreciated for its stability by many users in the past 4 years. Yes, when OS upgrade happens we need to adjust for what other manufacturers are changing, but we have never heard people complaining about the stability and quality of the WIN application. 

and lastly, Autodesk has one and single engine for photogrammetry. Its optimized in different ways for different purposes. But its the same engine. Be it ReCap or ReMake. 

so. If reMake is good for you, please continue using it and participate in a  constructive way  on the forum. If you do not like reMake and are not using it, this forum is probably not a place for you as its meant for users who try to help each other while they are using reMake, not a market place for promoting other tools. Its a 101 of forum etiquette.

thank you

t

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report