Community
ReMake Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReMake Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReMake topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best format for retopology in 3ds Max

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
antonio.caroppos
1086 Views, 10 Replies

Best format for retopology in 3ds Max

Hello!

I want to retopology my highly detailled model in Max.

I don't want to retopologize the model in ReMake because I would perhaps lose details.

However, I haven't found any format that Max would properly read.

When I export as OBJ with Original Textures (not rebaked), my model looks like this:

max1.jpg

However, when I view the same model with FBX review, it looks fine:

fbxreview1.jpg

Does anybody know if there is something I have to do in Max to make it look correctly?

I think I have just tried any combination of format and textures original / baked, but I just can't find a way to properly export my hi-res model to Max without some texture issues.

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi @antonio.caroppos,

i do not think retopology in Remake will make loose details. However, it is actually weird you are not able to visualize the obj texture in Max, have you activated the visualization of the maps in viewport? Did you load the material in the material editor and then applied it to your mesh?

What is the issue with the fbx texture? It seems to be properly textured, but the pic is too small to appreciate details.

Also, it is not clear what kind of work on the topology you want to perform. Could you be more clear on your aim so i can give you the right hints?

Cheers,

V.

"Nothing is impossible if you can imagine it" Prof. Cubert J. Farnsworth
Message 3 of 11

Thank you.

I didn't do anything special in Max, I just imported the obj with the default settings.

I have tried the same object with Autodesk Meshmixer, and the model looked perfectly fine:

meshmixer1.jpg

I'm not very experienced with Max yet, but I thought that I could simply import my obj without having to assign a material or so.

I thought it would work out of the box, such as in MeshMixer and FBX review.

I'm confused.

Message 4 of 11

Hi @antonio.caroppos,

do not worry, Max is usually giving headache even if you have years of experience :). Usually, you should be able to visualize texture as soon as you import the model. Please, could you post a screenshot of your 3DsMax importing dialogue? When importing, do you toggle on import texture coordinates and import material?

Cheers,

V.

Message 5 of 11

At first, I didn't change any of the default options, only when it didn't work as expected, I tried all variations of checkmarks in the Import Dialogue, but none of them changed anything.

Should I post a screenshot anyways?

My mesh has multiple maps, but perhaps only one of them is used? Can I change that in the import settings somehow?

Message 6 of 11

Hi @antonio.caroppos,

yes please, do it. Also, go in the viewport menu and click on Configure. Then check whether Texture is flagged in the Visual Style settings.

Cheers,

V.

Message 7 of 11

obj1.jpg

Here they are, thanks.

Yes, Textures are flagged in the ViewPort.

And here is a close-up of the ViewPort. The textures are there, but I think not in the right place / UV space.

closeup1.jpg

Message 8 of 11

Hi @antonio.caroppos,

you should not have any issue with multitile UV and textures. I am trying to replicate your problem but everything runs just fine on my side. Would you mind to share your mesh so i can give it a look?

Cheers,

V.

Message 9 of 11

There you go:

https://mab.to/isvVluRTt

Thank you.

Message 10 of 11

Hi @antonio.caroppos,

i imported your model and texture without any issue as you can see from the screencast. What 3DsMax version are you using? 

Cheers,

V.

Message 11 of 11

You're great. I installed the latest service pack for Max, and now it works as shown in your video.

The red dot besides "Textures" is green now.

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report