Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

permanent deletion of of point clouds

permanent deletion of of point clouds

is it possible to permanently delete points in recap. when i delete points and save and optimize, everything looks good until i open the file in navisworks and everything shows up again, can someone help me with that please 

6 Comments
ryan.frenz
Alumni

The next version of Navisworks should support this.  But you can also get rid of the points by doing a Save As and choosing the 'remove deleted points'.

-Ryan

dustinmanning
Enthusiast

This also occurs within Autocad and Civil 3D. It's as if anything outside of Recap Pro disregards edits like deleting.

ryan.frenz
Alumni

Yes, all products will disregard 'optimized' deletes until next year.

There are three ways to have your deleted points work in other products (2017 or earlier):

• Don't optimize the project.  This will keep all the deletes as usual, and AutoCAD/etc should properly respect them.
  • Save As, and choose to 'remove deleted points'.  This gives you a new copy of the project with all the deleted points removed.
  • Export to unified RCS.  This gives you a consolidated RCS file for the project with all deletes removed.

-Ryan

ryan.frenz
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

This has been implemented in the ReCap engine and will be available in each product based in its individual schedule.  Should be no later than the next major release (2018) for each, possibly earlier.

For workarounds, see the comment thread or the ReCap community forum.

dustinmanning
Enthusiast

Thanks for that Ryan. Somehow I totally missed the second option to 'remove deleted points'. Cheers!

VincentModena
Participant

The deletion of points still seems to be an issue.  It is fine to save as a unified RCS file but if you need to use the file for data extraction in other programs such as Pointfuse and Edgewise that require  scans that are not unified, the hard work of cleaning up the point cloud comes to nought.  Edgewise can now import Recap files but even "Saved As" files still bring in the deleted points. All of the points appear again and then auto pipe extraction is done on the entire point cloud.  Really frustrating.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report