Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit # of Undo/Saved Operations for Better Performance

Limit # of Undo/Saved Operations for Better Performance

I would like to recommend limiting the number of saved Selection Operations to increase performance of ReCap. Currently the program stores every selection operation you make in order to allow you to Undo them later. This causes the program to inevitably slow down to near inoperable levels after many selections/deletions that can be associated with cleaning up a point cloud. I have a few ideas that may accomplish this.

1. Allow the user to specify how many selection operations are kept before permanently applying them. Similar to specifying the number of Undo levels in AutoCAD.

2. Provide a "Destructive Editing Mode" that allows users to back up their work before hand with the understanding that any changes made will be permanent. I believe this would provide maximum performance, however users would have to back-up their work before hand and save often to avoid large mistakes so a disclaimer would be needed before entering this mode.

3. Set a permanent limit to saved selection operations.

For those who have had performance issues while cleaning up very large point clouds with many scans I would love to hear your feedback on this.

3 Comments
terry4FWN6
Participant

I endorse this request for a performance improvement completely. I have just updated to the latest Recap version as at 06 Dec 2017 and Recap is still unusable after a number of selects and deletes, and I only have 3-5 regions saved. My project has 75 scans and is about 35 Gb but the Optimize wheel has been spinning for over 24 hours now and I have no idea when it will finish. I have to get my project to my client and I am stuck. Very concerned. Is there a temporary work around?

Light_Guy
Collaborator
We have learned NOT to optimize the original project. It only lead to heartache. 
terry4FWN6
Participant

The optimising finally finished over night after about 36 hours. I'm very wary about this now. I do need to delete unwanted points but this is not how I'll do it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report